PDA

View Full Version : Rain Collar Caulk for stack

wildoats
10-26-2017, 07:01 PM
I am looking for input on finding the proper caulk/sealant to waterproof the rain collar against my evaporator stack. I found one sealant at my local hardware store made by Rutland that is a latex sealant but it was only rated to 800 degrees and I didn't know if that would be enough.
Thanks for your help
Michael

maple maniac65
10-27-2017, 04:51 AM
Defiantly not if your wood fired. My rain collar has been up for 12 years and I don't get water in the sugar shack.

n8hutch
10-27-2017, 06:11 AM
If you are set on sealing the collar to the pipe I would get some high temperature RTV silicone, any Good fastener store like Fastenall/K.L. Jack, should have an RTV that goes up to 1500° and should be available in a tube that will fit a caulking gun. Or you can buy small tubes at any parts store.Like maple maniac I didn't seal mine either.

maple flats
10-27-2017, 07:15 AM
I also did not seal mine and I get no water down the stack outside. I do use a flop cap for when I'm not boiling to keep water out from inside. If you are boiling and it's pouring out, the rain will still not get in, it will turn to steam and go out.
The 1st 2 years my stack was up I didn't even have a rain collar. I did get some rain down the pipe but not during a boil.