PDA

View Full Version : Stainless sap holding tank

whity
10-21-2017, 03:05 PM
We have an opportunity to get a 500 gallon stainless holding tank for sap. Only thing is, It was used for starch in a textile factory. My question is. Is it worth getting? Is it able to be cleaned good enough to put sap in? The price is right. But we don't want to buy it if it can't be used.

maple flats
10-22-2017, 06:19 AM
If the seams are all smooth inside and rounded I'd think it could be cleaned BUT just one tiny imperfection could hold some residue and spoil the syrup. I don't know how you'd verify if it was totally clean before starting to use it.
Let's see what others chime in with.

n8hutch
10-22-2017, 07:48 AM
I would think if you cleaned it best you could, rinsed it thoroughly , filled with water let it sit for a few days. Maybe try to agitate it somehow. And then take a water sample and have it tested on a lab. Maybe test 2 samples one that went in the tank and one just out of the water supply so you can compare.

Of course considering all the leg work you might find it easier to just drop a grand on a new sap tank.

whity
10-22-2017, 08:23 AM
I was thinking fill it with pan cleaner and let it sit for a week. Then use a steam cleaner. I've done some looking into the ingredients of textile starch. It is mostly glucose derived from vegetables. Some have other products added like Borax.

Sugarbush Ridge
10-22-2017, 01:50 PM
My 2 cents. If you have a tank cleaning service for cleaning tanker trucks have them steam clean it. It is surprising some of the things are hauled back in milk tankers and then steam cleaned and then another load of milk.

whity
10-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Just got word from the seller of the tank. He said it shouldn't be used for food. The starch is a chemical and he wouldn't chance it. Thanks for the reply's.