PDA

View Full Version : Baby sap ladder

mountainvan
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I have a couple trees here and ther in my bush that are close to trees I tap, but slightly downhill. Uphill of other trees I tap but a ways away. Here's my thought... I was going to take a 5/16 lateral and make a baby sap ladder, one line 3-5 taps straight up around 6-8ft. Anybody try this before?

ennismaple
05-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Sounds like it could work. It's only 5/16" tubing so the cost won't be too great if it doesn't work.

I've got a similar situation where 2 good maples are beside a mainline that's 10' in the air. I don't want to tap them on a ladder so I'm going to tap at 5' and then run the 5/16" straight up the tree, over a branch just above the mainline and then connect to a saddle manifold. It's worth a try!

brookledge
05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I have an area where my mainline is about ten feet in the air. I put in the manifold just like normal and looped the 5/16 down to where I could tap the trees and it works great under vacuum. If you don't have alot it is easier to do it that way vs building a sap ladder.
Also with vacuum you can tap below your lateral line and as soon as the sap comes out of the spout it imeadiately flows up to the lateral line
Keith