PDA

View Full Version : Maple Syrup order from Japan - Is it a scam?

onthehill
10-14-2017, 06:36 PM
We recently received an email for pricing on 12 to 16 pints of maple syrup to be shipped to Japan and paid by VISA. The email stated that the purchaser had enjoyed our maple syrup over 10 years ago and was looking for more as it was "very delicious". I have no recollection of sending maple syrup to Japan, so I emailed back asking where he had purchased our maple syrup in the past. His response: "Over 10 years ago, I have seen your web and I have paid by credit card Visa
I have sent you my credit card information probably by Fax or letter. I have bought your maple syrup and maple cream. I want to buy your maple syrup again." Well, that is certainly interesting, but not true! I received a call from two other local maple producers who both received a vary similar email request form the same person. Wondering how many other maple producers have gotten the same email. I'm thinking it is a scam, but I haven't figured out his end game. Any thoughts?

maple flats
10-15-2017, 06:33 AM
These scams surface from time to time. I haven't had this one, but have had several others over the years. I think maybe you could send a PayPal invoice and only ship after payment has cleared and deposited in your account, but I'd still just forget it.

buckeye gold
10-15-2017, 10:52 AM
I would just reply "we don't ship to japan" and tell him to purchase through E-Bay and then delete all communications and move on in life.

Jim Brown
10-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Most times they are paying with a stolen credit card You send the product and the card number is bogus.

DucFight
10-16-2017, 01:04 AM
We received a similar email this past week asking about sending 12-16 pints of syrup to Japan and asked about accepting credit cards and if not could we direct them to someone that does. We replied that we accept pay pal and haven't heard anything since.

johnallin
10-16-2017, 05:08 PM
In our manufacturing business, we receive a few of these per week from foreign addresses.
Most include some form of purchase order or request for an large amount of product.
Any time the request ends with "and what form of payment do you accept"; it's deleted.