PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel SAP Buckets

ukewarrior
10-05-2017, 09:05 PM
I'd like to hear opinions about these buckets I am thinking of getting. for SAP collection.
These are your basic utility pails. I would need to drill or punch my own hole in the side near the top.

The specs are:
410 Stainless steel
26 gauge
The top dimension of the bucket is 29.5cm.(11.6 in)
The bottom dimension of the bucket is 20cm. (7.9 in)
The height of the bucket is 26.5cm. (10.5 in)
Volume is 10 litres. (2.6 gallons)

In quantity my cost is $5 per bucket. This includes shipping. Obviously they are chinese made.

I've imported lots of items from China, so I'm not worried about that part of the deal.

It seems to me i can get stainless steel buckets for the same or lower price of used aluminum buckets.

Here's a picture, click to enlarge:

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Potters3
10-06-2017, 03:53 AM
For $5 / bucket. If I still hung buckets I would ask to get in on the deal. Drill a hole for the spout, just have to figure out how to get a cover on it. Old Grimm flat lids may work they had a pin that hooked them to the spout not bucket.

I will throw out another opinion this morning, there are some that will say they are 410 (cheaper) stainless not 304 (most syrup pans) or 316 (food grade). Part of my day job is buying Stainless sheet and coil. There are many grades and they can all be used for a variety of things. And I am going to say WAY BETTER then a old galv bucket with lead soldier. Or old plastic buckets that who know what came in them.

maple maniac65
10-06-2017, 06:00 AM
For $6.00 I can buy a plastic sap bucket, spout and a cover. I am wondering if that cheap ss bucket will rust just like the cheap ss sports drink bottles from walmart that are made in china.

Quebecguy
10-06-2017, 07:44 AM
seems to me i can get stainless steel buckets for the same or lower price of used aluminum buckets.

How many buckets do you require? Around here used aluminum sap buckets are selling for Canadian $4.50 (U.S. $ 3.59). A road trip might be worthwhile for you.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/ottawa/1000-aluminium-sap-buckets-for-sale/1296331972?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TapTapTap
10-07-2017, 06:22 AM
You didn't indicate how many buckets you were planning, but I would caution you on over investing in buckets if you are new to sugaring. It didn't take me long to figure out that tubing provides several significant advantages. I bought a bunch of used buckets that will just serve as a mocked up display next season.

And don't forget that in your case you still need lids.

Good luck.