PDA

View Full Version : Marking trees.

ash10383
10-02-2017, 05:57 AM
We are semi new to the art of maple syrup. This will be our 3rd year. Looking for suggestions on how to mark trees so you can find them in the spring. We go out on the fall when the leaves are still on to find the hardwood maples and last year tied a plastic tape around the tree. Haven't yet mastered just looking at the bark and telling its sugar maple. This year half the ribbons we on the ground by the trees from last year. Anybody have some way to mark trees that will lasts multiple years? The 1st year we used a spray paint dot, but that faded and only could see from one side unless you painted the whole trunk.

mainebackswoodssyrup
10-02-2017, 06:27 AM
When you say plastic tape, are you referring to surveyors flagging tape or something? Flagging tape should last 2-3 years out in the woods.

ash10383
10-02-2017, 07:03 AM
yes it was yellow surveyors tape. But like I said around half was on the ground by the trees after less than a year

wmick
10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
ash10383 - I've been thinking about the same thing...

I tried yellow caution tape.. 2nd year lots missing and what was left was very discolored... I've been thinking about maybe trying something like these plastic tags, with aluminum nails..

Any thoughts?

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-10749Y/Plastic-Tags/Plastic-Tags-6-1-4-x-3-1-8-Yellow?model=S-10749Y&RootChecked=yes

Chickenman
10-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I used 2in x 2in piece of flashing tacked to the tree with a fencing U staple. They only go into the bark and are easy to find. I tacked them all at eye ball height so they are not buried in the snow. They are easy to find day or night.

BAP
10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Use tree marking paint. It will last many years.
https://www.benmeadows.com/tree-marking-paint-and-boundary-marking-supplies/tree-marking-paint-36810713/

DrTimPerkins
10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Use tree marking paint.

Unless you are certified organic, which limits your options for marking trees considerably.

jmayerl
10-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Why are you marking trees? After 3 years you should have no problem identifying trees in the spring.

ash10383
10-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Was looking for a way to not nail, staple, spray anything into the tree. Not certified organic but trying to stay as close as possible. A thought I just had was Cow ear tags. Come in all colors and could keep track of the trees by numbers if wanted to for some reason. We have beef cows also and seen a couple bags of tags laying around and thought these would work just need to attach them some how.

wmick
10-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Was looking for a way to not nail, staple, spray anything into the tree. Not certified organic but trying to stay as close as possible. A thought I just had was Cow ear tags. Come in all colors and could keep track of the trees by numbers if wanted to for some reason. We have beef cows also and seen a couple bags of tags laying around and thought these would work just need to attach them some how.

Ear tags is a neat idea... being as they are generally numbered, it might help out with "mapping" your bush, etc... They are kind of expensive though, if you had to go and buy several hundred.

I know some people would lynch me for saying so... I really don't see a huge issue with driving an aluminum nail into a mature maple tree.. If the tree is ever logged, the scar will be less than a spile hole.. and will most likely be in the slab-wood and aluminum wont wreck a saw-blade.

ash10383
10-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Ear tags is a neat idea... being as they are generally numbered, it might help out with "mapping" your bush, etc... They are kind of expensive though, if you had to go and buy several hundred.

I know some people would lynch me for saying so... I really don't see a huge issue with driving an aluminum nail into a mature maple tree.. If the tree is ever logged, the scar will be less than a spile hole.. and will most likely be in the slab-wood and aluminum wont wreck a saw-blade.I only have around 60 trees and several 100 tags I bought in a bunch of junk from a auction once. So it would be no cost really.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

maple flats
10-02-2017, 06:39 PM
I think you're better off learning to ID the maples without marking them. Right now ID from leaves and then observe the bark. In sugar maples it changes quite a bit from a 6" tree to a mature tree, look at those changes.
One thing, once you sort of learn the bark on the main tapable maples (sugar maple, Red maple, Silver maple and if it grows in your area Black maple), realize that all maples send out opposite branches, but most of the opposites get broken off, thus, use a good pair of binoculars to search the outer limbs on the upper portion of the tree, if the bark looks like it might be a maple and you see some opposite branches out towards the ends of the limbs, it is a maple. It may help to keep a gallery of barks and leaves on your phone until you master it. Once you get good at it, you will usually be able to ID a maple from 20-40' away and even more. Not just bark and leaves, but the way branches attach to the tree (typical growth patterns). On mature sugar maples the bark will start to peal vertically, the older the tree the larger the pealed plates will be.
I spent a summer marking a bunch of sugar maples my first year, by the time I had marked about 100-150 or so, I no longer needed the markings and I actually removed them (I used plastic surveyors tape). I no longer needed that crutch.

johnallin
10-02-2017, 07:22 PM
I went through the same scenario in 06 when I first started tapping. I tied a green tape - surveyor's tape - wrapped around the trees at eye height. It made it simple to see trees from any angle which, to me anyway, made more sense than a tag. I swear that some of that tape is still hanging on, although most of it burst apart as the tree grew.

I agree with Dave Klish. After the second year it became fairly simple. In the late fall, I started looking for opposing twigs and generally what leaves were laying around the base. This woods has mostly maple, a few oak, some remaining black cherry, a few sassafras, a handful of dead standing ash and locust. Once you get it narrowed down it becomes second nature. I too had pictures of bark in the gator to help, but it was more trouble than it was worth. The proof was in the spring when I'd start collecting....sure I hit some oak - but it didn't take long to figure out why those taps were dry.... Also after collecting the same "route" each year I find myself waking right up to some without even thinking and finding some new trees that had grown to tappable size.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-03-2017, 07:04 AM
There are different grades of flagging tape, if you buy the better grade it will last much longer on the tree.

DrTimPerkins
10-03-2017, 07:54 AM
I really don't see a huge issue with driving an aluminum nail into a mature maple tree.

No lynching here, but this too would not be allowed if you are organic certified. A nail is considered a wound, just like a spout. Don't shoot the messenger.

DrTimPerkins
10-03-2017, 07:56 AM
There are different grades of flagging tape, if you buy the better grade it will last much longer on the tree.

Commonly referred to as "arctic flagging tape" http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=11331&itemnum=58045

Should last at least 2-3 years. Don't tie it really tight or tree growth will snap it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Commonly referred to as "arctic flagging tape" http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=11331&itemnum=58045

Should last at least 2-3 years. Don't tie it really tight or tree growth will snap it.

Yes, I think this is exact same thing Lowes sells. You can buy the cheap grade or this grade, definitely get what you pay for.

Trapper2
10-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Because I'm not always available to look at the trees, I put deer hunters thumbtacks that have reflective tap on them. We do the majority of our tapping after work in the night time. Seeing that the tack is only in the bark it basically stays in for ever. Just don't try following it to a deer stand.

scottdevine
11-12-2017, 10:08 PM
3rd year tapping in southern CT, today i went out and marked a new bush with bright orange flimsy thin plastic ribbon. The property owner had it, and it worked perfectly. Like others have mentioned, take the time to recognize the branch patterns. I did this in my first year over several weeks, now it's easier to identify. I marked them today, because in case of severe cold or snow when i tap, i don't want to be toting a sack fumbling with equipment (drill, taps, rope, spile, bags, etc trying to figure out where the trees are.

berkshires
11-13-2017, 07:49 AM
While I agree that it's not hard to identify maples once you get to know them, I still use tape. I only tap a small fraction of my trees, and I'm still working out which are the best and worst. So any tree I tap I give a number to, and then keep track of the sugar content from that tree. And to keep track of the trees, they need to be marked in some way. Writing on the bark with sharpie wears off very quickly. Of course some are obvious landmark trees, but others may have one in a stand that has better sugar content than the rest. Others may be terrible, and never get much over 1%. I need to be able to track that and be able to go back the next season and tap the good ones and skip the junk.

Make sense?

Gabe

Zagman
02-12-2018, 12:19 PM
I made a new post on this subject, as I did NOT see this thread buried a few pages back....

I need to mark the trees NOT because I don't know what hard maple is.....but rather, I need to mark the ones I can tap that I have no intention of ever including in future timber harvests. Obviously, some of the ones I am tapping are easy to identify with splits, knots, crooked, bulges, etc. There are some that are not quite as obvious.

I looked at it as a way to categorize them, number them, etc. After a few years of tapping them, I am sure I'd have less issue remembering which trees are to be tapped and which ones I need to leave for harvest. When I say I am tapping one out of every 50, maybe it makes more sense as to how a tree could get lost or ignored year to year....

I like the calf ear tag idea!

MZ