PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a shack

tbear
09-30-2017, 06:57 PM
We are getting ready to install lights, outlets and switches in the shack. Would appreciate any input. I'm concerned about the high humidity/steam. Romex? Conduit? Ground fault outlets? Please tell me what I'll need to be aware of and any solutions. Thanks Everyone, Ted

johnallin
09-30-2017, 08:30 PM
I used all Carlon boxes and gray pvc to run wire in. All joints are glued, outlets and switches are made for wet locations. The lights I put in are made for wet locations with a cage and a jar-like glass globe protecting the bulb. It took some time but I'm confident that it's done right.

lords sugaring
09-30-2017, 09:45 PM
I would highly suggest separate gfci outlet and light circuits. Wet rated cable would fine but I'd use conduit for wires. Damp or wet rated light fixtures as well as make sure your switches grounded. Honestly call your AHJ and see what's required in your area, more than likely they're going to have to come give you the green light anyhow.

maple flats
10-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Most of my wiring is in EMT conduit but some (the oldest) is Romex. All switches are std switches and recepticles. The only exception is my lighting, my florescent lights are wet location rated with plastic covers and a rubber seal and the light in my flue pan hood the light is for wet locations, with a glass globe covering the bulb, likely the same as johnallin.
I had no issues when the electrical inspector came.

BreezyHill
10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
I also rewired with pvc conduit and wet location boxes. I was impressed by how the conduit will drip condensation more than the metal ceiling does. I find that outlets should be below the normal steam level in the evap room to keep them driver. Next rig will be fully hooded and vented outside.

maple flats
10-01-2017, 04:28 PM
My sugarhouse does not fill up with steam. I have 2 steam stacks, 15" each, one on the 3x3' syrup pan hood and one on the 3x5 flue pan hood. Each stack is just 4-5' high on the top of the hood, then each has a 13" stack suspended from in the cupola and it extends down into the 15" stacks. That keeps the sugarhouse almost steam free. Without that the wiring I have might not be right.

tbear
10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the info folks, I really do appreciate it! Having never seen an evaporator in person, only pictures, not to mention not seeing a sugar shack except in pictures, you can imagine the questions I don't even know enough to ask. The only downside to living in Iowa I've seen in almost 60 years is a VERY small and seperated sugaring community. Many "professionals" carpenters, electricians, etc in my area aren't familiar with what I'm trying to build. For instance I've had to explain that an evaporator and a wood stove or fireplace are completely different animals and can't be installed the same way. I have felt all along that this, for me, is a large time and money gamble. To boil it down (pun intended), I'm counting heavily on you guys. Thanks again, Ted

maple flats
10-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I think your first approach should be to visit 2 or 3 (or more) sugarhouses. Search out others, there must be other producers within 50-75 miles. Heck, I just traveled 150 miles one way last week to see another sugarhouse. I've likely seen 20, maybe 30 different ones over the years, but I learn something new at each one I visit. Most producers will show you their operation. Maple is very unlike most types of business, we are glad to share with new or smaller producers.

tbear
10-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks maple flats, I'm hoping to do so when things (harvest) slow down a bit. Ted

sg5054
01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
PVC conduit, gfci outlets or breakers, led lights, avoid hanging conduit or anything else up in the ceiling,less things to drip from
I’m just finishing up my new shack. Used 4ft leds hung at top of the walls horizontally. PVC conduit, gfci breakers, etc.

TapTapTap
01-16-2019, 08:00 PM
We did LED strip lighting for all of our fixtures - damp rated.