PDA

View Full Version : Will tubing affect hunting?

labman
05-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I tapped 500 trees in my father in laws woods this past year with very good results using all buckets, except for problems getting stuck while collecting. I am thinking about putting in tubing and vacuum for next year but I would need to get the go ahead from my brother in laws who are avid hunters. I am sure there will be questions about if it will affect the deer and turkey hunting so I ask all you for some opinions on this. thanks in advance

ennismaple
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Tubing doesn't affect our deer hunting at all. I've seen deer running through the sugar bush at full speed as if the tubing wasn't even there. The only problem we've got is one or two deer that like to chew on the tubing and mainlines where it crosses a trail.

Mike
05-01-2007, 08:59 AM
We have a good bunch of deer and turkey on our land. When I run my lines I will have some main line with quick disconnects where I know the deer travel...I see no problem with it affecting the wildlife....You may have some tubbing chewed up by deer but not much you can do....If a deer can go over or thru a barbed wire fence I dont see a problem with a pipe line......

Larry
05-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I've seen absolutely no evidence that tubing affects deer or turkey. In my sugar bush it's the other way around - wildlife affecting the tubing. Care to see what happens when a moose gets tangled up with your mainline? It's not pretty. The moose wins, the tubing loses.

Pete33Vt
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
The only thing tubing does to hunting is make your traveling to and from the stand a little more risky at night.LOL

maple flats
05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Deer are rather lazy and they will follow the lines if not chased until they find an easier place to cross/go under. Cleaning with peroxide I had zero damage from deer and the hunting is great. The deer yard up for the winter in my woods and the tubing does not bother them. Hunters can always cross over or under in most areas. I have seen deer run full speed without ever touching the tubing, in fact I have seen a rather big buck run thru a 3 strand barb wire fence, not under or over but thru and never touch the wire, they are amazing creatures.

ennismaple
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
We haven't used anything but hot water to wash our lines in the past 15 years so any deer or squirrel chews are due to curiosity and not salt residue in the lines. There's always a few every year.

The only impact on hunting with tubing in your sugar bush is the deer will run more zig-zag than straight. I jumped 2 does in the middle of a ridge with 4-seasons lines everywhere a couple seasons ago and they moved like a running back trying to find a hole in the defensive line! It didn't slow them down at all, just made them move in less of a straight line.

Mike
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I was talking to a Old sugarer at the LaPierre open house and he was saying one bush he heard had 2000 spouts chewed on by squrriels....He said it was a 5000 tap bush, Said they never touched the black spouts......

Mike
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
The 2000 spouts where all blue....