PDA

View Full Version : guzzler pump on 12v and a solar charging system

KReinisch
09-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Does anyone out there run there guzzler on a 12v battery and have it recharged on one of those solar systems?

Any info would help.

VT_K9
09-28-2017, 09:39 PM
We looked into this when we bought our guzzler but decided that it would be as easy to maintain the fuel in a generator.

We are going through a solar/battery setup for tank level monitors in two locations now. It appears one battery may last all year, but we are going to use a solar panel and charge controller hooked to the battery to help maintain the battery and last longer.

I am not up to speed on how to calculate such usage but things to consider are the hours of sun light per day or lack there of over a few days which need to be held in reserve (bigger or more batteries). I don't know the amp requirement for a guzzler off the top of my head, but that is needed along with how long do you plan to run the pump per day.

We ran our pump the first year about equal to what the daylight was...old thinking...then we ran the pump when the the temps were good for us. I found if it never dropped below 28 degrees for more than 2 hours we were good to go. That meant several days the pump would run.

I probably would look at never discharging the battery on a regular basis below 20%, providing current for 3 days straight with cloud cover, and look for a good solar panel. My house panels will show production on an overcast day. I don't know if the lesser expensive systems would do that.

Good luck,

Mike