PDA

View Full Version : Trail crossing disconnect

whalems
09-22-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm looking for a stainless disconnect in 1" and 3/4". Does anyone have a good source for them? or a suggestion for an easy way to take mainlines apart each season on a trail crossing? Cam Locks seem to be the easiest solution if I can locate them reasonably priced in stainless. Aluminum and poly fittings are reduced to much on the inside diameter for my liking. thanks for any input! Mike

maple flats
09-22-2017, 11:58 AM
If you google SS camlock fittings you will see several sources. One issue will be the camlock seal, with tension pulling it apart the seal becomes poor. You will want to keep spare gaskets on hand to fix leaks.

S.S.S
09-22-2017, 12:20 PM
I have been switching over from camlock fittings to stainless quick couplers, they are a full port fitting. I get mine from either cdl or lapierre, usually cdl is quite a bit cheaper.

VT_K9
09-22-2017, 07:41 PM
We have a couple Banjo Camlock type fittings in our bush. We had planned to open the trail or area they cross, but just have not. The lines have not leaked (yet and it has been 3 years). We are looking to add another area where it will be taken down each year. The SS ones from CDL look pretty good. I look at them the other night. I am planning to give it some serious consideration because they are as open as other SS fittings.

In comparing SS fittings I found a pretty good price on fittings through a plumbing supply shop, but they are no where near as open as the maple SS fittings. They are not as sharp on the edges, but the 3/4" couplings and male adapters were near $5.00 each. I tried a few and beveled the inside on a lathe. I would likely use these on the output (down slope) side of a valve or other fitting which already restricted the flow. Since then we have used only the maple SS fittings.

Mike

Dennis H.
09-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Could always try these, tri clover style connectors.

https://www.brewershardware.com/images/product/P/TC15B10.jpg

This is the page for them, I feel that this is a good price. You will need 2 and then a clamp and gasket.

https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-X-1-Hose-Barb.html?category_id=272

I am currently using pvc unions with tension grips to keep some of the tension off the union. I have been thinking about switching them out now for a couple of seasons but they keep working. Now if I started to have issues with them I would use tri clover fittings in their place.

maple flats
09-23-2017, 06:48 PM
I have changed several of my fittings to the SS tri-clover from Brewer's Hardware, mentioned above, mostly in the sugarhouse but some in the woods. They work very well. Get a few spare gaskets but they do hold up well.

S.S.S
09-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Pro-flo dynamics is wonderful place to get stainless fitting.

silvermaple
09-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Go see the MES guys. They have the insert unions that are milk fittings with nice silicone gasket. Way better priced than CDL or Lap. We have had MES ship our SS fittings this past month for our expansion project. We have two woods roads that we need to take the mainline down to get the skidder up and these are perfect. We put the wire on cable clamps so we can take it down wicked quick.

minehart gap
09-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Find out who works on milking systems in your area, the piping in those systems get removed and reinstalled several times a day for cleaning. I would think that you could modify fittings to make it work with and type of pipe and have a quality connection that is removable