PDA

View Full Version : transportation tank question

dhbiker1
04-30-2007, 06:19 AM
I found a 55 gallon poly drum that I want to use for transporting sap from woods to sugarhouse. I found a really good deal for $15.00 plus not too bad shipping. The only thing is that the barrel was used for vinegar. It is food grade but will i be able to clean it good enough so it won't ruin the sap? Thanks, Jason

Fred Henderson
04-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Sap will turn to vinegar if you let it sit around long enough. I use plastic barrels that had yogart in them.

dhbiker1
04-30-2007, 10:23 AM
so no matter how many times i soak it with bleach/water solution it will affect it? but if it is only used to transport it might be ok. might be better to try to find something else but we'll see. don't want to save money here and have the syrup ruined later.

Pete33Vt
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
The best thing would be to set it up so rain water can get into it. Let it fill up and empty it out a few times in the summer and you will be ok. Especially for just transporting. Acid rain does wonders!!!

Johnny Cuervo
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Pete is right I use about 6 pickle buckets. I could not get the smell out, I just left them out for the summer and empty so often. Been using them for hanging buckets for 3 years. No smell at all.

maple flats
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I use vinegar to clean the evaporator, then rinse, no taste, I think a good cleaning should be sufficient.