PDA

View Full Version : Maple vinegar

maplefrank
09-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Not sure this is the right thread??? Does anyone bottle and sell maple 🍁 vinegar??

Tweegs
09-11-2017, 02:20 PM
We do.
First year making the stuff.
Made a small batch over last winter and sold out the first day of the market.
Made another larger batch and sold all of it on pre-orders.
We have standing orders already coming in for next year’s batch.

Obviously, it has been a great seller for us with a good to excellent profit margin.
On the downside, you’re going to wait a minimum of 12 weeks to get a sellable product, but 6 months or more is really needed to achieve a good and smooth vinegar.

mudr
09-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Is the recipe proprietary, or would you be willing to share it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tweegs
09-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Nope, not proprietary.

We use this recipe:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016211-maple-vinegar?mcubz=0

Because it uses alcohol, we were a little concerned initially.
Here are a couple of articles explaining what happens to the alcohol, along with some other helpful tips:

http://www.thekitchn.com/diy-maple-vineg-158124
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-12/making-vinegar-home

farmermike
09-12-2017, 11:32 AM
How dark of maple syrup do you use?
Thanks

Tweegs
09-12-2017, 01:55 PM
We’re using dark at the moment for no other reason than “just because”.

It does bring up a question I had and didn’t really know how to ask without prefacing with a dissertation.

Since we’ve already warmed up to the subject, here goes:

Would the invert sugar make any difference and if so, should I be using syrup with high or low amounts of invert sugar to make the vinegar?

maplefrank
09-12-2017, 02:51 PM
I just took sap from the syrup pan and put it in my canning tank and put a clothe over the topa

blurr95
09-12-2017, 03:03 PM
What do you use maple vinegar for.

Jason

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-12-2017, 03:54 PM
What do you use maple vinegar for.
Jason

When I was a kid, it was the only vinegar we used. My Great Aunt's Vinegar barrel held about 50 gallons and supplied 3 families. Used for anything that you use any other vinegar for from cleaning to making pickles. There may be a problem in some states bottling it and offering it for sale.

Quebecguy
09-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Does anyone bottle and sell maple 🍁 vinegar??

We don't sell any maple vinegar but we do make enough for ourselves and the occasional gift. We started quite few years ago by getting some "mother" from another producer and adding that to a few gallons of roughly 23 degrees Brix partially boiled sap (known as "reduit" here in Quebec). Let the pail sit with a cloth over the top for at least a year and then decant the liquid into a pot to heat up on the stove before filtering and bottling. Keep what is left in the bottom of the pail (the mother) for the next batch. We generally use the darker, end of season sap as it has a stronger flavour which gives a nice taste to the vinegar. The older your mother gets, the better it (she?) is.

mudr
09-13-2017, 04:47 AM
We don't sell any maple vinegar but we do make enough for ourselves and the occasional gift. We started quite few years ago by getting some "mother" from another producer and adding that to a few gallons of roughly 23 degrees Brix partially boiled sap (known as "reduit" here in Quebec). Let the pail sit with a cloth over the top for at least a year and then decant the liquid into a pot to heat up on the stove before filtering and bottling. Keep what is left in the bottom of the pail (the mother) for the next batch. We generally use the darker, end of season sap as it has a stronger flavour which gives a nice taste to the vinegar. The older your mother gets, the better it (she?) is.
Hey, I don't care what you say. My mother has been a delightful person her entire life. :p

Thank you for the tips. I just need to find a new mother.

helptheold
09-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Never heard of maple vinegar before but that's a pretty neat idea. What temp do you bring the maple vinegar to for bottling?

Quebecguy
09-18-2017, 11:14 AM
What temp do you bring the maple vinegar to for bottling?

The producer who gave us the mother originally suggested 140 degrees Fahrenheit but we have been going to 170 degrees to insure the bottles are sterilized and that seems to work well.

Michael Greer
09-20-2017, 06:27 AM
We made about 40 gallons a few years back, and bottled it into sterile glass cold. Some of this vinegar has been in my pantry for five years with no sign of deterioration or mold.

Zucker Lager
09-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Never heard of maple vinegar before but that's a pretty neat idea. What temp do you bring the maple vinegar to for bottling?

If everything is clean I believe that if the vinegar is acid enough, low enough PH, it will keep without heating. This site says the min PH should be 4. Looks like you can make vinegar out of just about anything from reading this site. Jay
https://supremevinegar.com/2016/09/02/making-vinegar-home-essential-guide-part-basics/

maplefrank
09-21-2017, 08:21 PM
If everything is clean I believe that if the vinegar is acid enough, low enough PH, it will keep without heating. This site says the min PH should be 4. Looks like you can make vinegar out of just about anything from reading this site. Jay
https://supremevinegar.com/2016/09/02/making-vinegar-home-essential-guide-part-basics/

Yes you can. I made strawberry, blackcap and peach too