PDA

View Full Version : Beginner tapping/production equipment?

Beavertrapper
09-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Hello folks. I'm new to the forum and maple product production, and I had some questions for you guys. This upcoming spring I am interested in doing some small scale production for personal use as an experiment to see if it may be a commercial venture I am interested in. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good beginner evaporation system? I'm not looking to spend a pile of money. Thanks in advance for your advice.

mol1jb
09-03-2017, 08:47 PM
How many taps are you planing currently and how many could you expand to in the future?

Beavertrapper
09-03-2017, 10:21 PM
How many taps are you planing currently and how many could you expand to in the future?
Right now, just a handful to run in the evenings. Maybe 10-15. Starting out as a hobby right now. I should also add that I would like to boil with wood.

maple flats
09-04-2017, 08:48 AM
I then suggest you find a used 2x3 flat pan evaporator, but stay away from soldered pans that are not labeled "lead Free". While 10-15 is low for that size, it can be done. 20-25 taps would work better on that.
You are right to try to stay away from propane, because the fuel cost/qt of syrup will be quite high. Split the wood wrist size and get it drying now, if you already have dry wood, that's better yet. Wood really needs a minimum of 8 months to dry and 12+ months is better.

Wannabe
09-04-2017, 09:41 AM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?29951-55-gallon-drum-evaporator

Just one example.

You can type in 'barrel evaporator' up in the search box and you can get all sorts of ideas if these setups interest you. And/Or you can Google them or check them out on youtube. Not very efficient but they are cheap and it'll be a good way to get your feet wet if your only gonna be doing a few taps.

mol1jb
09-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I would second the barrel evaporator. Inexpensive to build and will work well for that amount of taps. The trick just starting out is to not invest a ton until you really have a good idea what direction you want to head. It took me 3 years to figure out my permenant size of operation. I used an barrel evap for my first two years with 12 and 20 taps.

BAP
09-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Check out Craigslist, you can find a lot of good used maple equipment on there to get started. Also, check out www.wfmasonwelding.com He makes some really nice small evaporators that are economical. He is located in Maine.

phil-t
09-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Good luck with your venture.You really need to do that first year and then decide on how big you want to be.
FYI - I did the barrel thing and found it to be NOT for me.

lords sugaring
09-04-2017, 10:05 PM
There's always the classic block arch with steam table trays or a used pan off Craigslist. You'll be able to build it yourself for fairly cheap maybe you even have some old blocks sitting around the yard. I used one for 2 years one with steam table trays and the other time I bought a 2.5 x 4 pan. I then built an evaporator out of a 275 gallon oil tank and used that for a while. There's really no wrong place to start making syrup and I'm sure everyone here will tell you it's extremely addictive. It's not a really cheap thing to do or get into either, I think my first year after taps, bucks, and all the rest of the stuff that goes with making syrup I spent around $500 if not more. Good luck

needmoremaples
09-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Hello folks. I'm new to the forum and maple product production, and I had some questions for you guys. This upcoming spring I am interested in doing some small scale production for personal use as an experiment to see if it may be a commercial venture I am interested in. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good beginner evaporation system? I'm not looking to spend a pile of money. Thanks in advance for your advice.

the most basic is a turkey fryer for maybe up to 10 taps. Good way to just try making it but LP costs money.

The most basic/cheap way using wood is to round up some cinder blocks and put pans on it over a wood fire. buffet pans work great and are relatively cheap. You can also make the barrel evap like this thread is talking about. 55 gallon barrel with a stack added and holes cut on top for pans. Can be buffet style or actual custom Stainless pans.

I would say anything beyond that is for someone thats been doing it for years. I wouldn't try doing more than 20 taps til you can get the hang of it or have someone with real experience guiding you.

You will be tempted to just cook inside on the stove but dont do it. humidity and sugar mess will destroy your kitchen.

Potters3
09-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Find a sugarmaker near you. Be free help for a year and see what you think. Tap your trees if you can and bring the sap with you as payment for education. You will either check the bug or decide it isn't for you. I worked with a neighbor for 16 years before going out on my own.

wmick
09-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Hey Beavertrapper

It would be good to know how handy you are, in terms of metal fab, etc.. Do you have access to steel and a welder etc. ?? If not, and you have your heart set on burning wood, maybe google "cinder block evaporators" I've never used one, but they look like a pretty simple way to get set up with a backyard, wood burning system....(with very little cost or fabrication).
For 10 taps, though, I'd really consider the turkey cooker idea... (Pretty quick to start up and shut down for small batches)..
I've also done some on an old used electric range, wired up in the shed... (not in the house). That worked pretty good too.

Sweet Shady Lane
10-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Hey Beavertrapper, i stared with a barrel set up and used it for a few years, worked good for about 25 taps or so, and yes burning wood is the way to go it really keeps the cost down, right now it doesn't matter what kind of wood as long as it is dry, WARNING you will catch the bug and then you will need(want)more sap, just keep it small and fun the first couple of years, save your dimes and nickels for a bigger better rig

maple flats
10-16-2017, 05:55 AM
My first year I got a used 2x3 arch (the firebox base) and flat pan. I started with 27 taps and after ech day of sap flow I decided I could handle more. I kept adding and then I had 70 taps and the sap started to really run hard. &0 taps is way too many for a 2x3 when the sap flows real good, I boiled 2 days straight and still lost some sap to spoilage as I had not caught up.
Beware that the sap flows you get in the early flow days will only be a small % of what will come when it really turns on, don't be like I did and tap far too many for the equipment you have.
If you have too many taps to keep up, have a local producer who will process your excess. Many will either buy the sap if fresh or process on a % share. Just line that producer ahead of the season so it's not a scramble to find someone when you get over whelmed.