PDA

View Full Version : arch grate

wanabe
03-11-2004, 05:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far the arch grate should be from the bottom of my pan? I have a home made arch and the grate fits between the firebrick so it is easily adjustable. The sap is finally running here and I plan the boil in the morning. Is there a formula to figure this measurement or just personel preferance?

syrupmaker
03-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Jeff....i think i would be more concerned about the distance from the bottom of your arch.If you are to shallow the ash pit fills quickly and chokes out the fire.Shoot for around 3.5-4" off the bottom. The area between the rack and the pan gets stuffed with wood so it's not as critical a factor.

Rick

wanabe
03-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks Rick I have about 6 or 7 inches under the grate and about 16 form the grate to the pan so hopefully this will work out going to fire the thing in the morning for the first time for real. I ran a quick test on it a week ago to try out the forced air option I added.

syrupmaker
03-11-2004, 06:36 AM
P.S. Support the heck out of your grate! Weld support legs along the center line as well as the corners.We built ours out of heavy steel thinking THERE IS NO WAY THIS WILL WARP. hah that fire is cooking and it sagged after the 1st fireing and the belly bottomed out after the 2nd. Build it so you can lift it out for cleaning ashs out also.
:wink:
Rick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-11-2004, 09:04 PM
One most evaporator arches, you have about 16 to 18 inches from grates to pans and about 6 to 8 inches underneath.

Good luck and may you make a lot of syrup! :D