PDA

View Full Version : registering name

amasonry
08-25-2017, 05:10 AM
Hey guys, how many of you registered your shacks name with the state or else where.

maple maniac65
08-25-2017, 05:56 AM
Never have, comes as a cost and if someone copies my name then have at it. Hope they make a million.

maple flats
08-25-2017, 07:24 AM
I currently have 2 registered names. It was required to cash or deposit checks in either name. I started with just 1 name, but when I decided to set up a website that name was taken in another state, then I changed the name. I did it by legally keeping name #1 and made name #2 as owned by name #1. In New York State, legal DBA's (doing business as) are registered with the county, small recording fee, if you incorporate, that must be with the state. My 2 names are just DBA's.
If you just use your own name (the name on your driver's license) there is no registration needed.

amasonry
08-27-2017, 06:23 AM
maple flats, that the things I am trying to avoid. is there a register list though the maple association or national business registry. did find a small list of register sugar houses in new England.

maple flats
08-27-2017, 09:13 AM
I guess I can't help you then. I fail to understand why producers want to stay under the radar unless you make syrup just for family and friends. If you sell any, you want to be "on the radar". That means being registered under a name (unless you use the name on your driver's license).
I also would not sell even one container of syrup without being covered by liability insurance. Then comes the taxes, show your sales and claim your expenses.
Granted, at 28.5 gal of syrup you are not big enough to affect your tax liability much if at all, but do yourself a favor and do it right.
I started selling syrup in my first year, when I had 10.5 gal total production, and my name was registered that year, and my sales were factored into my income taxes. Surprise, it saved me in my taxes. Just depreciation alone, more than covered my income, then the supplies and such were also accounted for.
If you hide everything, how do you ever find out if you are ending up with anything for your efforts?

BAP
08-28-2017, 05:25 AM
I guess I can't help you then. I fail to understand why producers want to stay under the radar unless you make syrup just for family and friends. If you sell any, you want to be "on the radar". That means being registered under a name (unless you use the name on your driver's license).
I also would not sell even one container of syrup without being covered by liability insurance. Then comes the taxes, show your sales and claim your expenses.
Granted, at 28.5 gal of syrup you are not big enough to affect your tax liability much if at all, but do yourself a favor and do it right.
I started selling syrup in my first year, when I had 10.5 gal total production, and my name was registered that year, and my sales were factored into my income taxes. Surprise, it saved me in my taxes. Just depreciation alone, more than covered my income, then the supplies and such were also accounted for.
If you hide everything, how do you ever find out if you are ending up with anything for your efforts?
Dave, where did the OP say he was trying to "Fly Under the Radar"? All he was asking was if there was a database that he could check that covered multiple states to find out if someone else was already using a name. Which I am not aware of any such database that covers more than one state.

amasonry
08-28-2017, 04:27 PM
yeah I have just been going state by state .so far so good. so if I register in nh and it is a go. does that put me in the clear nationally?