PDA

View Full Version : Need to keep track better

maple flats
04-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I was pulling taps a few days ago and as I came to a bush that my mainline went thru I found out the mainline had come apart some time as it passed thru this bush. I hired a man to tap this section and I never checked after, just from a distance. I do not know if this was apart when he tapped or if it seperated during the season. I lost the sap from about 25 taps for however long it was apart. Next year i must remember to check closer during the season. If I had vac the guage would have told me something was wrong. My big mistake!!!! OUCH!!!!

royalmaple
04-28-2007, 06:50 PM
That would have taken about 3 seconds to notice with vacuum.

brookledge
04-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Just like Matt said with vac. you know when there is a problem. I can even tell if I have a single tap out. It will cause about a half of an inch drop.
While it's nice to know when you have a problem it's a pain when you have a slight leak and you have to walk the lines.
Keith

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
04-28-2007, 08:11 PM
You'd only have to walk the mainlines though, and look at each lateral and see which one the air is coming from, and not have to walk every foot of line.

brookledge
04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Yea I know but it always seems like when I see that I have a leak by looking at the gauge it's at a time when I'm busy and sort of wish I didn't know it was there cause then I got to go find it.
Keith

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
yeah, true.

802maple
04-28-2007, 08:50 PM
You need to put valves in your mainlines so that you can localize the leak. Close the valve let set for a few seconds then slowly open it if you hear air going by you have a leak if not on to the next mainline. also put a few on each mainline and you can go valve to valve until you find the leak. Atleast that works good for me.

maple flats
04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
I realize all of you are right. I should have walked the line and looked, i would have seen it. The sad part is that this line is on roadside trees and I drove the road looking but the mainline break (a coupler pulled apart) was in the thick bush and hidden by the sugarmaple it was behind. Next year I will check better.
Dave

markcasper
04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Dave, don't feel bad, it happened to me too. I had 80 taps dumping on the ground for a week and a half after I tapped. It was all south side and running good w/o vacuum then. Problem is.....that was the last group to get vacuum maintenance on and hate to think how much good syrup ran on the ground.