PDA

View Full Version : Herbicide Application Program by New Hampshire Electric Co-op

SandMan
07-15-2017, 10:45 AM
I was notified yesterday that Vegetation Control Services, Inc. contracted by the New Hampshire Electric Co-op will be on my land in a couple weeks "applying" a herbicide under the power-lines that run power to our home. The power line is parallel to my primary mainline and very close to my conductor mainlines. I'm concerned about a potential impact that herbicides will have on my maple tree's...some as close as 50 feet from were they want to apply it. Any thoughts from those that have had to deal with this issue?

I should mention that a tree contractor for NHEC also came through about a month ago and cut EVERYTHING down to the ground under the power lines and took a pretty wide swath right up to our mainline. They actually cut tree's down on the outside of the mainline that were not even close to being under the power lines. They essentially cut everything down that could touch the lines had they fallen...including maple trees. They never asked permission or even notified us...I came home from work one day and the cutting had already been done. We contacted the representative from the Electric Co-op and they are just unresponsive and unapologetic.

This line goes right up through the middle of our property!

Thoughts....

mellondome
07-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Measure the right away....

BAP
07-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Contact someone else at the Coop. I have found them to be good to deal with in the past. Much better than any of the other power companies in the state.

mainebackswoodssyrup
07-16-2017, 08:20 AM
They likely cleared the entire ROW. If you think they overstepped their bounds check on it. Contact them about the spraying, they should be able to skip that section for you. We talked to the crew that does spraying around the big bush we work in and they already knew of the sugar operation. They had all agricultural lands in Maine mapped. Was glad to hear they knew about it. They said they would wait for the right wind direction to spray and not get too close. This is a 5400 tap operation, I'm sure they don't know about all the little guys but should work with you if they know about it.

bstewar
07-16-2017, 08:48 AM
If a tree crew recently cleared the right of way then the herbicide application will be a cut stump treatment. Meaning it is selective and targeted to specific stumps and not broadcasted across the ground/vegetation. Will not have any impact to your maples, especially if they are 50' away.

maple flats
07-19-2017, 02:07 PM
If a tree crew recently cleared the right of way then the herbicide application will be a cut stump treatment. Meaning it is selective and targeted to specific stumps and not broadcasted across the ground/vegetation. Will not have any impact to your maples, especially if they are 50' away.
Unless you are certified organic. That's a no go for organic.

DrTimPerkins
07-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Unless you are certified organic. That's a no go for organic.

In some places you can ask (or insist) that no pesticides are used on your land and that only manual removal be performed. To be on the safe side, be around when the crew comes.

amaranth farm
08-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Radio Silence.