PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this tank for sap?

rayjavu
06-27-2017, 01:26 PM
I need to know if it's possible to sufficiently clean a tank to make it safe for storing sap. This tank was used for liquid fertilizer. If it can be cleaned, what is the best way to do it?
Thanks,
Ray

Bucket Head
06-27-2017, 01:50 PM
I don't think I'd use it. Plastic is porous, so there will always be a little fertilizer residue in there somewhere.

Do you know what the ingredients were in the fertilizer?

Steve

buckeye gold
06-27-2017, 04:13 PM
The answer on that tank is NO< NO and Hell No. I don't believe there is any way to clean out chemicals that have permeated the plastic....I would stay away from any tank that had anything but food in it.

maple flats
06-27-2017, 04:49 PM
I agree, it would be very dangerous to use it. Very high probability it would taint the whole crop.

wnybassman
06-27-2017, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't.

Bruce L
06-27-2017, 07:11 PM
DEFINITELY NOT,you would be asking for trouble

sergeaubin
06-28-2017, 10:48 AM
no they can't be properly cleaned. get a food grade tank

ennismaple
06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Definitely not. Maple sap will readily take on any off flavours and since it's acidic it will pick up the fertilizer residue - which gets concentrated 40:1. That price is also very close to the cost of a new tank so it's not a deal. I recently saw a 1550 gallon tank on sale at TSC for $850 is my memory is correct.

wmick
06-28-2017, 01:54 PM
This conversation reminds me of the time I threw some engine part into the dishwasher with my wife's Tupperware.. :o
Almost grounds for divorce.....

Bucket Head
07-06-2017, 11:41 AM
All the guys on here, including this guy, want to know the end of this story. So, did the part clean up or not?

mspina14
07-06-2017, 01:12 PM
This conversation reminds me of the time I threw some engine part into the dishwasher with my wife's Tupperware.. :o

You mean you can't put engine parts in a dishwasher with Tupperware?

Who knew?.....

DrTimPerkins
07-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Reminds me of the time about 15 yrs ago when that I called the supplier of the filters for our hot tub and asked if I could put them in the dishwasher to clean them. They were appalled at the idea and told me so. About a year later the company was heavily advertising and selling their new easy-to-clean "dishwasher safe" filters. Should've patented the idea.

RileySugarbush
07-06-2017, 01:56 PM
How about the time my wife was out of town so I decided to clean my sooty steam pans in the self cleaning oven. The result was a brown smelly smoke coming out the vent. No way to stop the process at that point, so I hooked a long sump pump hose to the shop vac an sucked the foul stuff outside.

wmick
07-06-2017, 05:15 PM
All the guys on here, including this guy, want to know the end of this story. So, did the part clean up or not?
My parts were spotless... Tupperware = Garbage... Apparently dishes shouldn't smell like diesel fuel?? :emb:

Bucket Head
07-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Nice.

Besides, Tupperware is inexpensive compared to the cost of engine parts!

jimmygarison
08-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone, I think, it would be very dangerous to use it. Very high probability it would taint the whole crop. Plastic is porous, so there will always be a little fertilizer residue in there somewhere. This is my point of view.