PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer

backyardsugarer
03-10-2004, 06:23 AM
OK now I have one how does it work? It looks to me like you put it in the syrup (hot) and it will float. When it floats to temp. indicated (like a therm.) it is syrup? I have always used a candy therm and taste test, but I will give this a try. Help?

Chris

syrupmaker
03-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Chris... It should have two red lines on the paper insert. Top mark (hot test)is the one for hot syrup as your drawing off.When it floats even with the meniscus of the liquid in the test cup it's syrup.The 2nd lower mark (cold test) should float at the liquid meniscsus when the syrup is at 60 degrees? Not sure on that exactly but i can check.

Rick

03-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Don't drop it in. Lower it slowly.

syrupmaker
03-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Excellent point they DO NOT fair well with the boing test.

MaineMapleDave
03-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Sigh......

Not only do hydrometers not like being dropped into either the bottom of the cup or the concrete floor the evaporator is sitting on (been there, done both), but I discovered another thing they don't like:

They really don't like being left in the cup with the little bit of syrup residue from a test. It's awfully tempting to leave it in the cup for just a minute while you are doing 18 other things. Unfortunately, I found that as the syrup cools it forms a tenacious bond between the body of the hydrometer and the side of the cup. Snapped off the more delicate portion of the hyrdometer once trying to wiggle it loose.......

backyardsugarer
03-10-2004, 09:50 AM
I looked it over real quick and only saw the red line at the top, but I am sure there is another. Thanks

Chris