PDA

View Full Version : Foundation for 2 x 4 arch?

hawthwood
05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
I have 8 inches of crushed limestone on floor of the sugar shack. How much of a foundation do I need for a 2 x 4 wood fired arch? Deep foundation, 4-6 inch concrete slab dug in or on top of the limestone floor?
Or, is 4 inch solid concrete pavers at each corner enough?

wmick
05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
I gotta think that the pavers will be lots..

Could always do a little shimming down the road as things settle... or add adjusters to the feet...

I set a 2' x 6', c/w a heavy 12' x 10" stack, up outside in the bush this year on scrap wood pallets, and it stayed level for me...

RipTyd
05-19-2017, 02:11 PM
I have 8 inches of crushed limestone on floor of the sugar shack. How much of a foundation do I need for a 2 x 4 wood fired arch? Deep foundation, 4-6 inch concrete slab dug in or on top of the limestone floor?
Or, is 4 inch solid concrete pavers at each corner enough?
Whatever you choose just keep in mind you may want to go bigger someday as most do , I would go with pavers or blocks for foundation. Just make sure your limestone floor is a good depth.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

Michael Greer
05-20-2017, 09:08 PM
If you go with a temporary footing like pavers, be sure to keep your level handy to check. An unlevel pan can be a disaster, and the footing can shift as a frozen building thaws out.