PDA

View Full Version : Check valves sprouts and bags

MapleCamp
05-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Has any one came up with a creative way to use cv spouts while using bags. I hang mine from 2 inch pvc pipe that I learned from this site. Now I'm hoping to take advantage of the longer season of cvs. Thanks for any ideas.

n8hutch
05-14-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure that there would be much of an advantage of a CV spout over a new clear polycarbonate seasonal spout, I think I would just save the 25 cents per tap. But I guess if you only have a 100 of them your not really out that much money if you try it.

blissville maples
05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Sap still spoils with CVS, buds still come out with CVS. And CVS don't replace freezing nights......all in all not going to make you triple production or even double, be lucky if it's even noticeable and if it is noticable there's always a good year in the mix somewhere.....lol........and to be honest on bags I can't see how they would even begin to help

BAP
05-14-2017, 03:31 PM
CV's aren't really going to do much for bags, because unless you have tubing attached to the spout, there won't be anything for the tree to suck back in when it freezes. With tubing, they work because there is sap in the tubing that has bacteria in it from growing in the tubing that will be sucked back into the tree as it freezes.

MapleCamp
05-14-2017, 03:32 PM
I use cvs on my 5 gal ground based buckets and they run good all season with out the hole drying out. I thought the science behind the cv was to keep the tap hole fresh. I use them on all my sureflo assisted gravity lines, they were wet when I pulled them as well. I miss some early bag flow from fear of tapping early and the hole drying before the main flows. If I figure a way to incorporate the cvs in my bags I will post, but as mentioned it may not be worth it. I like the bags as scouts as I can see from far off if its worth trudging through the snow to get it. I'l think it through while fishing this summer.