PDA

View Full Version : Consistent Slope

evanstj
05-12-2017, 11:14 AM
How important is it to have a consistent slope. I am putting in mainlines this year. The problem is that the sugarbush starts flat and then has quite a bit of slope then flattens out again. I was planning on doing wet/dry line for the mainline. If I understand right then slope would not matter as the bottom line is just for sap anyway and does not have to transfer air. As so the side mainlines would they need to have a consistent slope since they move air and sap. Thanks

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Perfect world.....sure that would be ideal but anyone who has setup a large bush knows this is impossible. Design for a minimum 1% slope on all your lines is a good idea. A short section with a little less is OK too. You do need slope in both lines. The sap line will pool up without enough slope in your wet line and your dry line may freeze if saps back up into it on heavy runs. Both need to be straight and tight with slope in them. The lateral lines can overcome slope with vacuum but they will hold more sap and freeze, leading to a longer thaw out period the next run. Best to have slope in these lines too.