PDA

View Full Version : Stack Pipe through the roof

hawthwood
05-11-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm new to the forum and to sugaring. Built a new sugar shack, plywood over the rafters, with metal roofing on top. I have ordered stack pipe from Leader, is this pipe double walled? If not what do I do, to get it through the roof with out burning up the building?

mspina14
05-11-2017, 05:48 PM
You need a roof jack:

Some are designed to be installed on the sloped part of the roof like mine. Others are designed to be installed directly through the center of the roof ridge.

If you do a Google search for "roof jack" you'll see lots of options.

The part of the stove pipe that goes through the roof jack on my set up is 8" double wall stainless steel piping.

Mark

VTnewguy
05-11-2017, 07:49 PM
You need a roof Jack. They are made to the pitch of the roof and by size of the stack. Also if center mounted or the the side.

BAP
05-12-2017, 05:16 AM
The pipe you ordered from Leader will be a single wall pipe. That's why you will need a roof jack to safely put the pipe up threw the roof.

MISugarDaddy
05-13-2017, 06:57 AM
To be on the safe side you may want to use double-walled pipe in addition to the roof jack.
Gary

hawthwood
05-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the information

Super Sapper
05-15-2017, 05:42 AM
If you have a hood over your flu pan you could look into putting in the Smoky Lake concentric exhaust system. This is a 2 stack system one pipe inside the other. The water vapor (steam) goes up through the roof in the area between the pipes. The result is one penetration through your roof and zero clearance. I used it this year and was very happy with it. It also reduced the sparks exiting the stack but did not eliminate them. Jim said that I could extend the outer pipe to give it more time for the sparks to mix with the water vapor and should help even more.

Ryan Mahar
05-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Just order a roof jack from leader with the pitch of your roof. They will custom make the jack. It then will sit on top of you metal roof. Inside I would have the plywood roofing cut about 12" minimum distance from pipe so a square opening 18" x18" or larger if allowed....very simple , very safe.......if rafters are near by simply put a piece of flashing or cement board mounted on the rafter to reduce heat going directly to rafter.....