PDA

View Full Version : Welding/steel question

Vt83maple
05-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Good morning, I'm just starting a new arch project planning on building a 2x4 evaperator capable of handling a drop clue rear pan. Looking for design ideas, dimensions.

I have an very good idea starting point, but as far as angle for stack side.???

Also recommendations on frame steel gauge as well as side plates

Thanks
Cory

Bricklayer
05-09-2017, 03:32 PM
I used 3/16 angle and it's been solid for 2 seasons so far no problem. 16 gauge sheet metal for the sides.
There are a couple good threads on here about evap builds. I got my design from a few of them.

mol1jb
05-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Most would say either have your pans your building for or know exactly what pans you are building for.

wiam
05-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Most would say either have your pans your building for or know exactly what pans you are building for.

I agree with this. I ordered pans and built an arch. Other pans I have seen measured an inch or two under stated size. Thor pans are true dimension. Wish I had built a couple inches wider so less pan was setting on the rail.

maple flats
05-10-2017, 05:59 PM
With Thor I ran into that issue. I read the label on Leader pans and ordered replacements by those dimentions. When I got the Thor pans home, they would not fin on my Leader Arch, they were about 2" too long. To make them fit I had to build a new base stack collar. The Thor pans were exact, I had sold the Leader Pans, but they were obviously less than what the tags said, kind of like a modern 2x4. When 2x4's were true sized an exterior wall was studded with 2x4's and had plenty of strength, now you need a 2x6 because they are too flimsey with 2x4's.

Vt83maple
05-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Okay I started with 3/4 x 3/4 squaresrock.....i plan on using 16g sheet for my panels.... im building it to house a 2x2 front pan with a 2x3 rear pan, both of which I plan on making out of 16g stainless......(hopefully)

I have pictures I will post at a later date.

Cb