PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo sap ladders

asknupp
04-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Want to add vacuum to a bush this year. Problem is it really needs a ladder because of a riding trail that runs through the middle. Does Anyone with shurflo pumps utilize a sap ladder?And if so how well does it perform? Ill have about 70 taps to lift and around 20 between ladder and tank.

RileySugarbush
04-30-2017, 04:32 PM
I lift about 10' to get over my driveway for a total of about 15' so delivery trucks can get through, but have another 40 feet of drop from there to my shurflo and tank. That works really well with 12 taps above the lift and 20 below. It actually works fine with or without the Shurflo as far as vacuum on the taps above the lift, since I get a nice vacuum from the 3/16 drop below the lift.

Your success will depend on how long the run is and how much drop you have on the low side below the 20 taps and what tubing you run.

asknupp
04-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Ill be using 3/4" main with 5/16" lateral. Was wondering about actual sap ladders. Thanks for the reply tho.

Chasefamily
05-04-2017, 10:24 PM
I was wondering about shurflo sap ladders as well. I have used yhe pumps in the past and have seen good results although I haven't used in couple year's I have now probably out grown the shurflo pumps at that location as there are probably 400ish taps there but was wondering if I could hook up a shurflo to have a sap ladder to get over the driveway. All the lines are 3/16 to manifolds and pull good vacuum by them selfsame just wondering if this would work so following

n8hutch
05-05-2017, 05:55 AM
I think you could make one work with a shurflow if you keep the ladder at like 12' or less, I Helped a friend setup a shurflow this year and his pulled 22" pretty consistently with a recirculation line to keep the pump weted.

If your not feeling good about it you could spring for a Guzzler pump and give that a try, I'm going to have 250+/- taps on one with 3 sap ladders this year, I'm pretty confident that it will work, I was pulling 26" with my 12volt guzzler last year.

asknupp
05-05-2017, 06:51 AM
After looking at things again I think 5' is the most I would have to lift 20-30 taps. I know system would have to be real tight. Was also wondering that if 3/16 has a natural vacuum could you use a 6way star going from 5/16 adapted to 3/16 lifters. Has anyone one tried using 3/16 tubing for lifters? On larger systems I could see them being to restrictive but...

Chasefamily
05-05-2017, 07:29 AM
I think you could make one work with a shurflow if you keep the ladder at like 12' or less, I Helped a friend setup a shurflow this year and his pulled 22" pretty consistently with a recirculation line to keep the pump weted.

If your not feeling good about it you could spring for a Guzzler pump and give that a try, I'm going to have 250+/- taps on one with 3 sap ladders this year, I'm pretty confident that it will work, I was pulling 26" with my 12volt guzzler last year.

yes i was actually feeling better if i would just use a dual guzzler as i will have 400-500 taps on this setup and will prob have two sap ladders. one about 8' or so and the other like 4' the 8 ft one would be within 20 ft of the pump just to cross the driveway.