PDA

View Full Version : New leader clear check valve adapters

lew
04-27-2017, 05:19 AM
Did Leader ever get their new clear check valve adapters on the market last year? If so, what have you heard about them? Good, bad or indifferent.

sugarman3
04-27-2017, 06:05 AM
They are on the market,couple cents more but with the wamn temps in early march,the black ones absorbed the 70 degree temp and the tap holes had some bacteria form slowing down the sap flow,i know a couple producers who had them and they didn't have any problems,going to them next yr,all 3000 taps

BAP
04-27-2017, 06:29 AM
I bought 200 of the black check valve adapters in early February because that was all that was available. I then added some more taps and went back a couple weeks later to get 25 more, and the clear ones had come in. I bought them to try. They are much easier to use. The black ones you have to be careful not to catch the little fingers that hold the ball in when putting on the stubby spout. The clear ones have the ball in the tip. I wash my tubing by pumping water and chlorine up the lines. When I pulled the adapters out of the tree, 20-25% of the black CV's were letting the water threw because of slime in the ball area. None of the clear CV's leaked. The clear ones took more effort to get off the stubby spout and I had a couple break the tips off in the tree. I plan on using all clear CV's next year.

DrTimPerkins
04-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Yes, they did make it to market. We put out only about 50 here in one study because we'd already finished tapping in the bulk of our woods before we got our hands on them. I like the new design better, largely because I prefer polycarbonate spouts over nylon. They went in fine....no breakage. They stuck in the tree very well. We didn't have any tips come out when we pulled spouts. Didn't really compare the production to anything else since it was a totally separate research study, but they were still running when we pulled them.

markcasper
04-27-2017, 07:26 AM
I'm still pulling yet and trees running yet have really diminished from one week ago, but even then the only ones running were the cv 2's. Seeing is believing.

sapmaple
04-27-2017, 07:37 AM
We put in a couple hundred and I really like them Found that they go in a 5/16 hole very snug so only need to go in the tree up to the first segment just where the ball chamber is if you go in deeper they come out of the tree very hard (I like the fact need to only be in 1/4 inch or so and still grip the hole very well) When putting the stubby in the adapter only go in to the first line you see in the plastic if you go in further they come apart hard if your at that line or just before it you can snap them apart easy be hand

Sapboy
04-27-2017, 07:41 AM
I put in 200 of them in and overall I was very pleased with them. Like Dr. Tim said they went in good, stayed in the tree well, and no breakage removing them. The only issue I had was it was a nightmare for me to get them off the stubbys. I needed to grab the adapter and stubby with a pair of pliers to twist them apart. This may have been my fault because when tapping I put the adapter and the stubby together and seated them with the hammer when tapping it in the tree. I've done this with the black adapters for years with no issues at all but next season I'll tap the adapter into the tree before attaching the stubby with the hope that they come apart easier. Overall though I really liked them and will be using them again next year.

DrTimPerkins
04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Coming apart hard is a natural consequence of using two dissimilar plastics (stubby and spout adapter). People asked for the clear CV adapter for years (since the original appeared). Both Leader and I have always told people who asked for this configuration that they would come apart hard....and they do.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
I put in 200 of them in and overall I was very pleased with them. Like Dr. Tim said they went in good, stayed in the tree well, and no breakage removing them. The only issue I had was it was a nightmare for me to get them off the stubbys. I needed to grab the adapter and stubby with a pair of pliers to twist them apart. This may have been my fault because when tapping I put the adapter and the stubby together and seated them with the hammer when tapping it in the tree. I've done this with the black adapters for years with no issues at all but next season I'll tap the adapter into the tree before attaching the stubby with the hope that they come apart easier. Overall though I really liked them and will be using them again next year.

I used 400 of just clear stubby adapters and what a pia to get apart, never will use them again.

lew
04-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Sounds like the only negative is that they come apart Hart hard. Thanks for the replies.

Dale Sparrow
04-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Yes, they did make it to market. We put out only about 50 here in one study because we'd already finished tapping in the bulk of our woods before we got our hands on them. I like the new design better, largely because I prefer polycarbonate spouts over nylon. They went in fine....no breakage. They stuck in the tree very well. We didn't have any tips come out when we pulled spouts. Didn't really compare the production to anything else since it was a totally separate research study, but they were still running when we pulled them. Was there an increase in sap collection over regular spouts? Did you use new or old drops? Are there any studies I can read online?

S.S.S
04-27-2017, 05:52 PM
You cannot tap stubby into adaptor with hammer. I don't care if it's clear ones or black they will come out extremely hard, I have first hand experience in this.

DrTimPerkins
04-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Was there an increase in sap collection over regular spouts? Did you use new or old drops? Are there any studies I can read online?

As I said, we didn't compare production numbers of this version since we didn't get them in time to set up a study to test this. They did produce fine, but no comparisons were made.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-28-2017, 04:50 AM
You cannot tap stubby into adaptor with hammer. I don't care if it's clear ones or black they will come out extremely hard, I have first hand experience in this.
I use a pair lineman pliers (dam electricians) fit in back pocket

maple maniac65
04-28-2017, 05:47 AM
If you are using a framing hammer to tap (drive) spouts in they will not come apart. I use a small I mean seriously small ball peen to tap them in and normally I can take them apart with my fingers.

minehart gap
05-12-2017, 09:41 PM
If using cv clear adapters, should the stubby spout still be replaced yearly? or with the cv is the bacteria reduced so that only the adapter needs to be replaced?

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-13-2017, 04:00 AM
Just the adapter

Snowmad
05-13-2017, 10:20 PM
I spoke with a Leader rep who claims they are working on a 3/16 CV spile that will not require an adaptor. That would be the next logical step. They may be ready by next season if they can get them to production. That would be the best solution I would think and may help cut down the cost by not needing the stubby.
I just bought a few today of the stubbys and the cv spiles for 3/16 to try although the bulk of my taps will be the new white CDL's that claim a 7% increase. If I'm understanding the concept with the cv correctly, you shouldn't have to change your drop line for several years as any potential bacteria won't get into the tap hole, right?

Russell Lampron
05-14-2017, 06:00 AM
If using cv clear adapters, should the stubby spout still be replaced yearly? or with the cv is the bacteria reduced so that only the adapter needs to be replaced?

You don't need to replace the stubby unless it is broken or leaks. Leader does make a clear CV spout that you change anually. I have been using them with great results.

I spoke with a Leader rep who claims they are working on a 3/16 CV spile that will not require an adaptor. That would be the next logical step. They may be ready by next season if they can get them to production. That would be the best solution I would think and may help cut down the cost by not needing the stubby.
I just bought a few today of the stubbys and the cv spiles for 3/16 to try although the bulk of my taps will be the new white CDL's that claim a 7% increase. If I'm understanding the concept with the cv correctly, you shouldn't have to change your drop line for several years as any potential bacteria won't get into the tap hole, right?

I have been using the 5/16 seasonal CV spouts, no stubby's, for 3 seasons with great results. Micro leaks are practically non existent. You are correct, the concept of the CV is to keep bacteria from going back into the tap hole. You don't have to replace the drop line until it is too short or even wash your tubing.