PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar Shack

djblech
04-26-2017, 03:51 PM
I have some trusses left over from a job last summer. They are 16' mono trusses.(shed roof) I am planning to build a 16 x 20 sugar shack. I have 2 questions. If I put my evaporator towards the high side will it work to vent out the front top. I was planning to use steel for the walls and roof, or will I get to much condensation.
Doug

Brad W Wi
04-26-2017, 04:31 PM
I've got a steel roof. If I had to do it over, I'd insulate it with Styrofoam. I have trusses and insulating it now would be a pain. Even with a free standing hood I get rain inside when the conditions are right.

BAP
04-26-2017, 06:45 PM
If you don't have a steam hood, you will want to put wood under the metal. If you don't, it will rain in your sugarhouse.

Michael Greer
04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Make sure that high opening doesn't face into the prevailing wind.

wnybassman
04-26-2017, 07:54 PM
I did a steel roof, but used plywood first. I get zero condensation.

djblech
04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
This is very interesting, If I need to put plywood down first I might as well shingle the roof. I probably have enough left over shingles to do the whole roof.

Wannabe
04-27-2017, 05:47 AM
This is very interesting, If I need to put plywood down first I might as well shingle the roof. I probably have enough left over shingles to do the whole roof.

Yeah but with metal you won't have to worry about reshingling it EVER again.

wnybassman
04-27-2017, 05:47 AM

When those embers start flying out of the chimney you'll be glad steel is there, I know I am.

My shack is not all that big, and the plywood under the steel was a $200 added expense to the overall project. Well worth it IMO.

Super Sapper
04-27-2017, 05:50 AM
I'm not sure what it was called but we put an insulation that was sandwhiched between to layers of white plastic. It was only about 1 inch thick and they use it for cattle barns for condensation. It worked real well and was not very expensive and comes in rolls about 6 foot wide I think.

VTnewguy
04-30-2017, 03:50 PM
We put the metal right on to the rafters. Even on the steamiest of days it didn't rain in our 16*20. Our cupola is 8 ft long.