PDA

View Full Version : Warped pan help!

DMF
04-24-2017, 01:55 PM
I have a 2x4 evaporator with continuous flow pans. It has two pans; the rear has 3 sections that run left to right and then it flows into the front pan which has 3 sections that flow back to front. The middle section of the front pan is traversing front to back. It's the back part of this middle section that is warped. I can have an inch of sap in the front pan and this part will only have 3/4. As you can imagine, this part gets hotter than the rest and I always run the risk of scorching in this area, plus shouldn't the hottest part be where I'm drawing the syrup off?

Can I save the pan? How do I repair it? Should I get a new pan? If so, is there a better configuration?

Thanks in advance!

wiam
04-24-2017, 02:23 PM
I have seen pans that were out way more than 1/4" boil just fine.

DrTimPerkins
04-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Simplest solution would be to just run the sap level a bit deeper. It'll slow down the boil a little, but will reduce the risk of a scorch.

maineboiler
04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Is there any way to repair a warped pan ?

maple maniac65
04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
If the pan is welded try a perfectly clean flat cement floor. 2x6 in pan and a 5 pound sledge hammer. Not even a grain of sand on the floor be a use you will see it in the SS

Super Sapper
04-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Can you reverse the pans and use the cross flow pan in front? It would eliminate possibility of scorching in that pan and having a syrup pan channels going side to side instead of front to back seems to work pretty good.

DMF
04-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Can you reverse the pans and use the cross flow pan in front? It would eliminate possibility of scorching in that pan and having a syrup pan channels going side to side instead of front to back seems to work pretty good.

I'd have to have another bung welded in. Currently the rear pan only has one outlet while the front one has an inlet and outlet. I like this idea though... Would it be better to go one step further and have the front pan draw off in the center of the arch (front to back) vs. from the front corner?

Super Sapper
04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
I'd have to have another bung welded in. Currently the rear pan only has one outlet while the front one has an inlet and outlet. I like this idea though... Would it be better to go one step further and have the front pan draw off in the center of the arch (front to back) vs. from the front corner?

I'm not sure how you would do that but I would think adding another inlet/outlet would be easier.