PDA

View Full Version : Building new evapaorator

BRL
04-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, we just sold (or are selling) our SL 2x6 Hybrid and trying to finalize our new setup. Northwood Stainless will be building our new rig. We are going with a 2x4 rear raised flue pan. I'm trying to figure what we should go with for a front pan? I'm kinda leaning towards (2) 12" x 24" cross flow syrup pans. I want something that I can reverse flow on the go and not have to remove and spin. Or do we go with same side reverse like SL. Or am I over thinking this for a 2x6 and it doesn't really matter? We are also building a 2x4 Water reduction Unit, Air tight gasifying arch AUF/AOF. Thanks for any help. Brian

wiam
04-24-2017, 10:57 AM
When I had a 2x6 I had a non reversible 2x2 front pan. I was boiling 12-14%. 3 hours was max boil time with out cleaning pan. At that point the pan had niter all through the pan. In my opinion there would not be much gain in a reversible 2x2 front pan. If I had stayed with the 2x6 I would have bought a second 2x2 pan to swap out.

motowbrowne
04-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Mind if I ask why you're selling a 2x6 and buying a different 2x6? Have you thought about moving up to a 2x8?

I agree with William about the usefulness of a reversible 2x2 pan. Perhaps three 12" cross flow pans so one can soak while the others are in use, or maybe just two 2x2 pans that you can alternate would be a good solution.

BAP
04-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Do you have any plans on adding more taps? Are you planning on putting any more taps on vacuum? With your tap count and if you put more on vacuum I would consider a 2'x8'. I would go with a 2'x5' raised flue pan and 2) 2'x18" syrup pans with 2 channels each. If you can swing it, get an extra syrup pan so you can swap out and clean the pan. I have a 2'x8' with a 2'x5' raised flue with a 2'x3' reverse flow front pan. While it is a nice setup, having 2 cross flow pans and an extra would make it nicer when there is a lot of niter, and a lot of back to back days of boiling. I have 225 taps with 105 on 3/16" and 110 on a Shurflo 4008 and 10 on gravity. I would not want any smaller evaporator unless I boiled long hours or added an R/O. Adding the extra 2 feet in length gains more capacity with not much more wood useage.

Super Sapper
04-25-2017, 05:57 AM
I have a 2 x 6 drop flu with a 2 x 2 syrup pan. I can only get 300 to 400 gallons through before the niter starts to burn in the syrup pan. At first I just cleaned the syrup pan each time but decided to reverse it and see if it would work. It actually worked pretty good but I have no idea why. If it lifted the niter at the beginning of the syrup pan when reversing it why did my flu pan niter up?

BRL
04-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Mind if I ask why you're selling a 2x6 and buying a different 2x6? Have you thought about moving up to a 2x8?

I agree with William about the usefulness of a reversible 2x2 pan. Perhaps three 12" cross flow pans so one can soak while the others are in use, or maybe just two 2x2 pans that you can alternate would be a good solution.

Do you have any plans on adding more taps? Are you planning on putting any more taps on vacuum? With your tap count and if you put more on vacuum I would consider a 2'x8'. I would go with a 2'x5' raised flue pan and 2) 2'x18" syrup pans with 2 channels each. If you can swing it, get an extra syrup pan so you can swap out and clean the pan. I have a 2'x8' with a 2'x5' raised flue with a 2'x3' reverse flow front pan. While it is a nice setup, having 2 cross flow pans and an extra would make it nicer when there is a lot of niter, and a lot of back to back days of boiling. I have 225 taps with 105 on 3/16" and 110 on a Shurflo 4008 and 10 on gravity. I would not want any smaller evaporator unless I boiled long hours or added an R/O. Adding the extra 2 feet in length gains more capacity with not much more wood useage.

I want to stay with a 2x6 because we have a 2x6 hood right now and I guess the biggest reason for getting a new evap is the new raised flue evap will be much easier to drain and clean. Also Rob at Northwood Stainless wants to start building raised flue pans. I have two boys in Travel Hockey and Travel Baseball so we have no plans to increase taps for at least 10 years. We will try to get most on lines with Sureflo's for vac but that will be our limit for now. I'm hoping that with the new raised flue, steamaway & gasifying arch we can boil at 45-50 GPH? If we are having trouble keeping up, we will build an RO. I'm thinking 3 cross flow pans might be the way to go!

Here is the WRU so far still have some work to do on it.

wiam
04-25-2017, 07:35 AM
I want to stay with a 2x6 because we have a 2x6 hood right now and I guess the biggest reason for getting a new evap is the new raised flue evap will be much easier to drain and clean. Also Rob at Northwood Stainless wants to start building raised flue pans. I have two boys in Travel Hockey and Travel Baseball so we have no plans to increase taps for at least 10 years. We will try to get most on lines with Sureflo's for vac but that will be our limit for now. I'm hoping that with the new raised flue, steamaway & gasifying arch we can boil at 45-50 GPH? If we are having trouble keeping up, we will build an RO. I'm thinking 3 cross flow pans might be the way to go!

Here is the WRU so far still have some work to do on it.

Are you saying there is not a drain on your drop flue?

BRL
04-25-2017, 07:45 AM
No, It's not really that big of a deal I just don't have any extra time in the spring. I want to be able to open a valve drain, clean, refill and off and running.