PDA

View Full Version : Copper and it's use

VTnewguy
04-19-2017, 12:27 PM
This topic came up on a Facebook page and I just wanted to ask it here. Why is copper being phased out of being used? i want to get a preheater built this year but i don't want to be told not to use it two years into it. Stainless preheater is twice the cost. Lead free solder has been around for a long time, seems like this is a overreach to squeeze the smaller producers.

wiam
04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
There is no plan to eliminate copper in VT. I asked Henry Marcus about this and will try to find the email reply I got from him. I have heard nothing from packers about copper. I have seen something about copper not being used in Canada.

wiam
04-19-2017, 03:06 PM
I purchased and cut the stainless pipe for my preheater. Then had a local shop weld it up. Much less than a maple manufacturer.

wiam
04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
I spelled Henry's name wrong.

wiam
04-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Sorry. The screen shot was not good. So I copied.

Subject: Lead / Copper

The new lead requirements are an industry standard, and not in any laws in Vermont. A packer can decide to purchase your syrup or not, but there is nothing prohibiting your selling it in law.

Copper has not been an issue. Vermont has no plans to change our legal requirements for maple syrup.

Henry J. Marckres
Chief
Consumer Protection
Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
Tel. – 802-828-3458

maple maniac65
04-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Couldn't hardly read a thing in the letter

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Why is copper being phased out of being used?

Technically copper is not being phased out, although it is not used much by the major equipment manufacturers. Back in the late-1990s, in response to the lead issue, they formed an organization called "Manufacturers of Maple Sugaring Equipment" or LMEA (the French acronym) to determine voluntary standards for the construction of maple sap collection/processing equipment and maple syrup storage. After a number of meetings and a lot of effort, in 2002 they produced a report entitled "STANDARDS ON MAPLE EQUIPMENT INTENDED FOR THE PRODUCTION OF MAPLE SYRUP." In the section pertaining to evaporation equipment, they decided to NOT include copper on the list of acceptable materials for construction of preheaters and similar equipment. If I recall correctly, it was not because of direct issues of food contamination, but more because of issues related to cleaning solutions (acid cleaners) reacting with the copper. Most of the larger equipment manufacturers follow these guidelines because they were involved in coming up with them, and many of the smaller outfits follow those same guidelines to a large degree, perhaps not understanding why. Notably these were not mandatory, but most manufacturers changed their materials and processes over time to match the standards (a good example is the Leader Steamaway....copper was originally used, but was eventually replaced with SS in their Enhanced Steamaway).

Personally I think it was a great feat of cooperation and self-policing on the part of the industry. By formulating and following these guidelines, the maple industry has probably managed to avoid a lot of mandatory regulatory scrutiny. It is also why equipment sometimes seems to cost more than it should....there is a lot going on behind the scenes in these companies that producers never see.

maple flats
04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
It must be different in Canada. I read that at least in Ontario you can not use copper to do anything that contacts maple sap. Is that correct or was it bad info?

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Different regulatory authorities and jurisdictions can impose rules as they see fit.

maple maniac65
04-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Thank you very much

VTnewguy
04-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the excellent insight. I guess I have a decision to make on material for a preheater.

wiam
04-19-2017, 09:38 PM
I got the 1/2" stainless for my preheater at Capital Supply in Montpelier. $200. Welding cost me about the same. This was for a preheater for a 3x8 pan.