PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo battery

Maplewalnut
04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Those that are running 12v shurflos on batteries, any recommendation for good battery? Anyone have a solar charger hooked up or do you just have two to cycle them out and charge at home?

thanks
Mike

Biz
04-19-2017, 02:57 PM
I am using a NAPA 8270 deep cycle marine battery and a similar one from Autozone with slightly higher ratings. They will run the pumps for well over a day continuous. I use a 70 watt solar panel which doesn't quite make it through the long cloudy stretches, I had to swap the battery out twice this year. A 100 watt solar panel would probably work better.

Dave

fuz
04-19-2017, 04:03 PM
I used a duralast, autozone, 29dp. I would change them every day or two, but sometimes it was 3 days and the pump was still running, shurflo 4008.

RC Maple
02-01-2024, 08:26 AM
I am using a NAPA 8270 deep cycle marine battery and a similar one from Autozone with slightly higher ratings. They will run the pumps for well over a day continuous. I use a 70 watt solar panel which doesn't quite make it through the long cloudy stretches, I had to swap the battery out twice this year. A 100 watt solar panel would probably work better.

Dave

I am starting my third year with a small system. I added a 75W panel to the two 75W panels I had before and still will have under 12V showing on my controller late in the day. Thinking of getting a second battery to swap out so I don't have to see low readings in the morning when the pump runs long days. Maybe my battery is the issue. I couldn't post the image but it is a Volt Edge battery with 680/850/170. I may try and pickup a battery like is listed here.

LMP Maple
02-01-2024, 03:30 PM
Deep cycle marine battery. I have two 100 watt panels if they are in the sun you will not have any problems if we get the sun. I had mine in the sun year one and never had an issue. I put them on the roof on my sap shed for a cleaner look year two and the sun was not a good there and had to charge the battery once. Changing out batteries is a pain in my opinion getting old and the batteries are heavy

RC Maple
02-02-2024, 07:20 AM
you will not have any problems if we get the sun. Changing out batteries is a pain in my opinion getting old and the batteries are heavy

Thanks for the reply. My set up is in the woods so I get a few shadows as the sun moves from East to West but I can face each of the three panels so they capture sun all day long...if we have it. Some days are better than others, but I think my battery should show more charge than it does. With another battery, I'll be able to know if that is the issue.

Robert K
02-02-2024, 05:22 PM
Deep cycle, bigger the better. I tried a 40 watt panel, and moved to 100 watt, works well in full sun. I need to switch out or charge every other day if sun is poor

1arch
02-08-2024, 09:30 AM
I have a couple 300 watt panels charging deep cycle marine batteries. There are occasions when this is not enough, such as multiple overcast days and the shurflo wants to run all night because it is above freezing. When this happens I typically cycle the pump off until the next day to capture the most productive flow.