PDA

View Full Version : Gas Powered transfer pump

rayjavu
04-18-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm looking for some help selecting a transfer pump. I need to push my sap about 3000 ft with a 35 ft rise. I'm not too concerned about GPM, I just need something that'll push that far. It has to be gas powered because I don't have power back there.
Thanks,
Ray

motowbrowne
04-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Can't say as I've ever heard a complaint about the Honda pumps. Price difference between a 1" and a 2" is pretty negligible, so unless you want to be able to carry it, I'd go 2". 3000' of pipe is gonna hold a lot of sap. Will it all drain back to the tank with the pump, or do you have several low places?

maple maniac65
04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
I'm looking for some help selecting a transfer pump. I need to push my sap about 3000 ft with a 35 ft rise. I'm not too concerned about GPM, I just need something that'll push that far. It has to be gas powered because I don't have power back there.
Thanks,
Ray

I'm thinking 3000 feet of 1 inch line holds about 200 gallons of sap

WESTMAPLES
04-19-2017, 07:54 AM
a honda wx15 would be the best gpm and a easily carryable size , i have a wx15 , 2 in , and 4 inch honda pumps the 2 in works good but its hard for one person to carry it and the wx15 (1 1/2 in ) pushes just about the same gph as the 2 in so its up to you

wmick
04-19-2017, 08:25 AM
If I were you, I would get talking to someone who is well versed in calculating friction losses and determining the change in pump performance....
3000 feet is a "LONG" run... I really don't know, but I suspect you might be surprised what that distance, alone, will do to your required pressure....???

n8hutch
04-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Any way you can get pitch in your pipe line? Even if you can only get half of the sap to flow to your sugar house or pickup point it would be the difference between having 75 gallons flow back to your tank or all the 150 gallons give or take.

BAP
04-19-2017, 10:29 AM
I think a gas powered centrifugal pump would have a hard time pushing 3000 feet with 35 foot rise. Do you have vacuum?

wurmdert
04-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Some people run the discharge line straight up from pump. For instance 36 ft up the side of a big tree then run on slope to destination. Then you only have say 40 ft of sap back flow and way less friction loss. You can use a bean bag tied onto a rope to throw over a desired limb.

rayjavu
04-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks to all who gave me some input. I may have to change my plans a little if I can't push the sap all the way to the front. If I get it figured out I'll let you all know.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Look into a generator and a submersible pump. You also will have much less line friction with an inch and a quarter pipe (but more sap to drain from pipe).

TheMapleMoose
04-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Look into a generator and a submersible pump. You also will have much less line friction with an inch and a quarter pipe (but more sap to drain from pipe).

We have one set up that is 900' with 35' of constant rise on 3/4 pipe and it takes 60psi at the pump to get 5gpm discharge at the sugarhouse using a 1/2hp shallow well pump.
The other set up is 1600' with 40' constant rise on 200' of 1" and 1400' of 3/4", and it takes 120 psi at the pump to get 10gpm discharge at the sugarhouse using a 3/4 deep well submersible. Both places have a generator to run the pump.

If our pump lines were larger diameter pipe, it would surely cut down on the pipe pressure, but we balanced that with the amount of sap left in the line after pumping and decided to use 3/4".

You could calculate the friction loss on your pipe at a desired gpm of flow and it would give you the required pressure. I think you'll find anything with a gas motor wont be capable of creating enough pressure. Unless you are using a high pressure gas pump, and I have no experience with those as far as flow rates. I know my 2" gas pump will only create about 45-55 psi.

engineeringtoolbox.com is helpful with friction loss and pressure calculations. There is also a few threads on here about long distance sap pumping that are helpful.