PDA

View Full Version : Solar PV

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Has any one here made their own dual axis tracking system.
I'm looking to do a 12 panel array.

TapTapTap
04-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with your ambition. I'd be challenged to set up a small fixed mounted. My analytical mind would naturally wonder whether a dual axis tracker system would be worth the effort. There are commercial packages available from All Earth Renewable of Williston, VT in the 5 to 6 KW size. They claim 45% more efficiency than a fix array. Therefore, it would seem challenging to develop and build a system that doesn't eat up that efficiency and then you're still left with a complex system of motors and electronics to maintain. Also, the trackers require external power to make their maneuvers.

Michael Greer
04-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Make sure to include the ability to tip it up to completely avoid snow cover when the forecast is bad.

maple flats
04-16-2017, 07:45 AM
I looked into it when I put in my 30 panel, 6.32 KW array, (put in in 3 phases) but the studies show that you gain so little that tracking is not a good investment. The only exception might be if you have a very small area to put panels that you need to maximize every square foot of that area.
I have 2 arrays, 6.32 KW at the sugarhouse, grid tied net metered and the excess is credited to my home bill about 3 miles away, the other is 1.71 KW at the house, totally off grid (the solar, not the whole house).

mudr
04-16-2017, 06:46 PM
I asked the guy about tilting/tracking setups for solar when I bought my system. To paraphrase his response, he would do it and be happy with making the extra money but the return on investment wasn't there for me as the owner. To each their own. As someone mentioned above, if you had a limited footprint to work with and needed/wanted to maximize production, then it might be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1arch
04-16-2017, 09:19 PM
I install solar for a living. The increase in annual production for tracking ranges from 30% to 40% depending on horoizon to horizon sunlight access... In the past couple years prices of modules has decreased significantly which has reduced install prices. Financials are now more attractive saturating an install site with more solar modules at a lower cost with a fixed mount system as compared to tracking systems. We find it is more cost effective to install panels not only in a southerly direction but also on east roofs, west roofs, and south facing walls. All this at a lower levelised cost per kWh than a tracking system.
Now the real benefit comes into play when the maintainance of moving parts comes into play. Back in the day when trackers made sense because the cost of making modules was so high we installed numerous tracking systems across the state. Now they are becoming a thorn in my side because sending an electrician on site for a day annually to make repairs strips a customers financial 30%~40% increased harvest. I have 4 trackers here on my own property and honestly would prefer a nice discreet rooftop or south wall install with virtually no maintainance.
I installed 100kw system on a south facing wall at the Milwaukee Public muesem a few years ago which at the time was the largest southern wall solar facade in the country. Excellent location for proof of concept!

mudr
04-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Cool stuff 1arch!

You bring up another point that my sales guy made- maintenance. We had discussed tracking solar as well as a wind turbine. He said he likes roof top because it's boring, rarely ever have to do any maintenance. That's good for both him and the customer. He said for the "lost production" by having a permanently affixed array, just toss on a few extra panels. Litter more money now, ymbut you recoup that will reduced maintenance requirements.

I love my solar panels. I just wish they weren't so boring and I could tinker with them. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sapmaple
04-17-2017, 07:36 AM
I put solar in a couple of years ago very happy with it. I have two 24 panel trackers and some roof panels. When I run the numbers the 30 to 40% increase will pay for the additional cost in a few years and after that its extra gravy (until some maintenance cost show up but most sugar makers I know can do a lot of our own fixing) 3 or 4 years ago I remember a lot of fixed and roof panels were encased in snow and ice for a couple of months no joke so trackers were able to shed that in a couple of days with sunshine. (Perhaps wall mount would be fine) Another reason I chose trackers was I can mow under them with the zero turn and keep everything looking nice not so with fixed just my thoughts

1arch
04-17-2017, 09:33 PM
I agree about sugar makers knowing how to handle tools and maintainance items. The ROI does continue at the 30%-40% escalated rate throughout the system life so after 25 years of self maintaining one can be much further ahead. Wattsun which is now called Array Technologies had a run of issues around 2009 2010. Those are the real thorns I refer to.
I agree on the snow issue also. While a roof top system may not shed the snow quickly due to shallow pitch a tracker may be tipped steeper to help. We also installed some Deger trackers a few years back. These were designed in Germany and built in Canada. They have a snow load/dump sensor which tips straight up under a predetermined weight and a wind load sensor to lay them flat on their back under high wind conditions. Pretty good units. 7kW+ on a single pole!
My trackers reside in a pasture where we raise all kinds of animals from meat chickens to pigs to goats and horses.
Interesting, in the heat of sumer the animals will follow the shade they cast.
When I started this gig over a decade ago we had access to 180 watt panels. Now The same size panel today offers 350+watts with talk of 500+ in the next few years.

My next install will be a "boring" install on the south wall of an old dairy barn.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-18-2017, 04:50 AM
I put solar in a couple of years ago very happy with it. I have two 24 panel trackers and some roof panels. When I run the numbers the 30 to 40% increase will pay for the additional cost in a few years and after that its extra gravy (until some maintenance cost show up but most sugar makers I know can do a lot of our own fixing) 3 or 4 years ago I remember a lot of fixed and roof panels were encased in snow and ice for a couple of months no joke so trackers were able to shed that in a couple of days with sunshine. (Perhaps wall mount would be fine) Another reason I chose trackers was I can mow under them with the zero turn and keep everything looking nice not so with fixed just my thoughts
I go out with extension ladder and snow roof rack and clean panels.
Going to Parros and powderhorn this Saturday might stop if your ok with it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-18-2017, 05:07 AM
I already have a 4.48 kw system. 16 280w panels on garage roof. On a sunny day lately it will do 29kwh a day. My peak is like 11 to 2 by 5 it's all done but sun is out. I can check output every 5 minutes, love the micro inverters.
When I first ordered my kit the solar company screwed up,sent me 16 250w panels which they sold me at a great price so they would not have to pay for shipping back to CA.
The largest DIY unit I see does 6 panels dual axis, I would rather have one large array instead of 2 on my small parcel of land. I'm going to install 4 more on garage roof so that will leave me with 12.
I can do all the work like setting pole and installing panels just need the rotating assembly and mounting structure.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-18-2017, 05:10 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with your ambition. I'd be challenged to set up a small fixed mounted. My analytical mind would naturally wonder whether a dual axis tracker system would be worth the effort. There are commercial packages available from All Earth Renewable of Williston, VT in the 5 to 6 KW size. They claim 45% more efficiency than a fix array. Therefore, it would seem challenging to develop and build a system that doesn't eat up that efficiency and then you're still left with a complex system of motors and electronics to maintain. Also, the trackers require external power to make their maneuvers.https://youtu.be/BKaqkcYMCvA
Linear actuators are readily available the angle of the dangle on how you install them is the key.

TapTapTap
04-18-2017, 05:17 AM
https://youtu.be/BKaqkcYMCvA
Linear actuators are readily available the angle of the dangle on how you install them is the key.

That part sounds easy. How about the software needed to track the sun? And the logic controllers applying the manuevers? This is way beyond my sugar making skills.

David in MI
04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
We have a 40x80 pole barn with a southern-facing roof. Where may I read more information about solar installs? Point me in the right direction, please.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2017, 11:52 AM
I will get you info on company unused when on get home. They designed it based on what I told them and pictures of rafters and roofing material. They majority of leg work for power company and any other papers I needed. But that was just power company, here in VT there is a saying, " live in VT do what you want" I had no zoning papers to do.or anything like that.

maple flats
04-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't that be nice. When I installed my last system (the 1.71KW off grid) at my home, my wife went to ask about getting a permit. The codes guy asked a few questions and told he we didn't need a permit. Then after the panels were installed we got a nasty letter from the same codes guy, saying we would be fined if we didn't get a permit within 5 days. I went down to find out what had changed. I seems he misinterpreted what we were installing. He asked my wife where the panels were being installed and she said "on the south side of the house". He didn't realize they were being attached to the house. In the time between when my wife asked and the system was installed, the codes changed. Had he issued a permit the first time, we would have been under the old code, but in the end, we had to abide by the new code. The main difference was the requirement to have a "rapid Shutdown" feature. At the main electric entrance we had to install a rapid shut down even though the solar is not tied to the grid. Then on the side wall outside where the inverter and the other solar equipment are inside, we had to have another rapid shut down, and inside, where the solar power came into the celler we had to also have a rapid shut down feature. In the end, we had bought about $800 worth of equipment that now could not be used, and we had to get a "Birdhouse" rapid shut down box and mount it near our main entrance meter, and 2 remote devices to activate it from the other 2 locations. These cost us another $1000 before we were done. The codes guy didn't care, we had to do it or he was ready to have an installer come in and remove our system. I say that's abuse of authority, being it was his error in the first place.
In the end, however it does make the system much safer in case of a fire or other emergency, first responders can shut the entire thing down and it is much safer for them, however it is not instant because capacitors need to discharge before all wires are dead and the panels still have power if light is hitting them, either sun or bright artificial light.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2017, 08:04 PM
When my micro inverters don't have or see 240volts from the grid they stop allowing power from the inverters to go onto the grid. Now the panels if they are still seeing a light source will produce D.C. Voltage but it can't go any where.. I do have a disconnect to have the ability to turn off the power next to the net meter on outside of garage.

No inspection by any one.

1arch
04-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Wouldn't that be nice. When I installed my last system (the 1.71KW off grid) at my home, my wife went to ask about getting a permit. The codes guy asked a few questions and told he we didn't need a permit. Then after the panels were installed we got a nasty letter from the same codes guy, saying we would be fined if we didn't get a permit within 5 days. I went down to find out what had changed. I seems he misinterpreted what we were installing. He asked my wife where the panels were being installed and she said "on the south side of the house". He didn't realize they were being attached to the house. In the time between when my wife asked and the system was installed, the codes changed. Had he issued a permit the first time, we would have been under the old code, but in the end, we had to abide by the new code. The main difference was the requirement to have a "rapid Shutdown" feature. At the main electric entrance we had to install a rapid shut down even though the solar is not tied to the grid. Then on the side wall outside where the inverter and the other solar equipment are inside, we had to have another rapid shut down, and inside, where the solar power came into the celler we had to also have a rapid shut down feature. In the end, we had bought about $800 worth of equipment that now could not be used, and we had to get a "Birdhouse" rapid shut down box and mount it near our main entrance meter, and 2 remote devices to activate it from the other 2 locations. These cost us another $1000 before we were done. The codes guy didn't care, we had to do it or he was ready to have an installer come in and remove our system. I say that's abuse of authority, being it was his error in the first place.
In the end, however it does make the system much safer in case of a fire or other emergency, first responders can shut the entire thing down and it is much safer for them, however it is not instant because capacitors need to discharge before all wires are dead and the panels still have power if light is hitting them, either sun or bright artificial light.

We maintain a spreadsheet of solar permitting requirements for municipalities in our service area. Ranging from no permit required to >$2k. Building permits in addition to electrical permits in some cases. Building permit submittals required in the city of Milwaukee have at times become a black hole of hours one will never get back. It is clear municipalities are working through this new industry and until it streamlines the soft costs of permitting and other logistical requirements add some cost. I have leveraged AHJ's into more relaxed permitting requirements by sharing experience in other jurisdictions but this is rare.
Dave I also like the rapid shut simply because I've seen what DC can do under fault conditions, In addition to the safety and protection of life and safety personnel. I like to explain DC like the old Frankenstein movies where the big electrical arcs are snapping all over the place. Once a DC arc starts... it burns until it clears itself and is done.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-24-2017, 04:49 AM
That part sounds easy. How about the software needed to track the sun? And the logic controllers applying the manuevers? This is way beyond my sugar making skills.
There are a couple ways to get panels to track. One is with "eyes" which see the sun and keep panels lined up the other is a program that along with a relay board will make the panels track the sun by time of day.