PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

wlatrout
04-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I was wondering if any one has experienced any allergic reactions to the steam coming off the evaporator.

I have had allergies since I was in third grade.
Allergies to dust,animal dander, pollen, and who knows what all.

This year I moved my evaporator into an in closed space with an area for the steam to escape.While I usually a respirator for thing's like that,I didn't this time.As would be expected,I ended up with a bad respiratory infection.

Now I've got 3 choices, build a hood,wear the respirator and make the hood or stop sugaring.

Got a year to decide.

jmayerl
04-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Well, getting a upper respiratory infection such as the common cold, bronchiolitis, or any other list of hundreds of virus's, has absolutely nothing to do with an allergic reaction, that is your first misconception.

wlatrout
04-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Maybe (Allergic) reaction it is not but I do have tree allergies. That being said,I have had the same experience several years in a row.It ends up in a severe Sinitus and Lung infection.The same as when I am exposed to dust.

The only way to get rid of it is with an antibotic. That is my experience.

Wasn't trying to start a debate about viral vs bacterial ,just wondered if anyone had a simular experence.

jmayerl
04-11-2017, 10:51 PM
No debate here, I am trying to give you clear medical differences between certain things. Now since you said you always need antibiotics to clear your symptoms, it is even more clear that it is not caused by what you list. You caught a bacterial infection such as strep or pneumonia.

BAP
04-12-2017, 05:18 AM
Are you running a wood fired evaporator? If so, could be the smoke and ash that flies around when filling the firebox is bothering you. That could have been made worse by moving inside with less fresh air to dissapate the smoke.

Super Sapper
04-12-2017, 05:39 AM
As jmayerl has said an allergy is neither bacterial or viral. Understanding what makes you sick is important in avoiding it in the future. You are susceptible to respiratory infections. A moist atmosphere is a good environment for molds and bacteria to grow in. I would wear the respirator and reduce the moisture as much as you can to decrease the chance of infection.

mellondome
04-12-2017, 07:19 AM
There is no harm in adding hoods and maybe a preheater while your at it.

wlatrout
04-12-2017, 07:34 AM
I do fire with wood and am bothered by the smoke and ash.

I agree that the moist air is not a good environment for me.

Will be looking for ways to improve the conditions. Hate to give up sugaring.

Thanks for the all the input. I have found this site very helpful in answering the many questions that come from trying something new.

Tweegs
04-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Any chance of poison ivy on the wood you’re burning?
A whiff of that would certainly cause respiratory and sinus issues, I think.

My place is loaded with the stuff, hard to avoid.

berkshires
04-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Or mice in your sugar shack.

timmie
04-24-2017, 04:55 AM
I agree with tweegs it could be that. Why don't you wear the respirator when you work on the evaporator.

DrTimPerkins
04-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Are you running a wood fired evaporator? If so, could be the smoke and ash that flies around when filling the firebox is bothering you. That could have been made worse by moving inside with less fresh air to dissapate the smoke.

This would be my guess as well. Secondarily, you're pulling a lot of air in the building to make up for air exhausted out the stack. Something could be pulled in with the air. Finally, how are you cleaning tubing? Perhaps some residue in the lines being boiled off?

BreezyHill
04-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Did you notice it on the first boil or did it take a few boils for the condition to manifest?

If it took a while you may have introduced heat and moisture into an environment that had a preexisting mold or fungus growth. The heat and moisture ramped up its growth and now you are experiencing the effects.

Dust and ash are to ends of the spectrum as long as the ash is direct from the fire box. Dust usually has a mold/fungus component to it. Ash is heat treated so not much lived thru the fire box.

If you spilled a little syrup it is the perfect point for mold growth.

Sugaring is a good stress reliever for many and getting out and exercising in the winter helps many with respiratory issues to keep the lungs functioning well; So I would use the respirator as needed and keep sugaring.

Best Wishes

Ben