PDA

View Full Version : Shurflow 120v

M & M maple syrup
04-08-2017, 10:05 AM
What's a good way to run a Shurflow pump on 120v? Thanks

motowbrowne
04-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm using two methods this year.

1: I tore a power supply out of a junk PC computer and looked up on YouTube how to convert it to run a DC motor. Very very simple and didn't cost anything.

2: I'm running the pump off a 12v car battery, which is always hooked up to a battery charger. Any battery will work, it just evens out the power coming from the charger.

Both methods have worked just fine for me all season. At this point they've both been running nonstop for about 3 weeks.

RileySugarbush
04-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Shurflo makes a 120V AC version, which I tried this year. I can't recommend it. I have two, and the first one started running erratically part way through the season. I opened up the motor and found it is a brushed DC motor with an internal rectifier. The brushes were worn. I was able to get it running again, but it still has the same brushes in it. I had heard that the 120V models were not as reliable and this may explain it.

Any new shurflo motors I buy for this application will be the 12V versions and I will likely run with a charger/ballast battery as motowbrowne suggests.

M & M maple syrup
04-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks to both of you. Looking toward next season at this time. Just getting my ducks in a row!