PDA

View Full Version : Ramp angle change.

boondocker
04-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I added a blower to my 30x8 CDL with a raised flu, my question is, has anybody changed there ramp angle to to add efficiency to the back pan? Also I have vermiculite under my back pan..... well what's left I don't know because the blower sent alot of up the stack. I'm thinking about using fire blanket for next year and not leaveing much of a gap between the flu and the blanket. This is set up AUF only. What else have you guys done to the inside of the arch after adding a blower?

motowbrowne
04-08-2017, 12:02 PM
My new rig has a very steep ramp at the back of the firebox. It's still natural draft, but I like the steep ramp because you don't get a buildup of coals in the back of the box. It keeps the fire where it's exposed to air.

I have vermiculite under the flue pan also, but instead of blanket (expensive) I used a very thin layer of concrete (cheap) to hold the vermiculite in place. I just sprinkled out a bag and a half of dry mix making about a 1/8-1/4" layer, then wetted it with a watering can. All you need is a thin crust. I haven't taken the pan off since doing that, but I also haven't found any vermiculite in the woods :).

Johnny t
04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Boondocker: I, too changed my ramp angle this year. It's prolly 60 degrees also created a flat upper deck area by doing this. It made a huge difference in the boil and wood consumption. I used old patio block I had laying around on the upper deck instead of fire brick to narrow the gap between the pan. I am also on natural air, but am looking into adding AUF/AOF for next year.

Motowbrowne: "My new rig has a very steep ramp at the back of the firebox. It's still natural draft, but I like the steep ramp because you don't get a buildup of coals in the back of the box. It keeps the fire where it's exposed to air."

Another huge reason I did mine as well. Now for some AOF for the "blowtorch" affect.