PDA

View Full Version : Does this boil look right?

DrewCP
04-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Hello,

This is our first year using a divided pan. We have used a 24"x48" flat pan on a block arch for years.

As you see in the pictures we are getting a huge "head" of bubbles in the middle channel compared to the more traditional looking boil (to us anyway) in the 2 side channels. The bubbles and sap will cascade over the middle divider. Is this normal for this style pan?

A little more info on our boil. We are still batch boiling. We need to complete a 400-500L (105-130USG) sap to syrup boil in 1 day. We are not pushing gradient from 1 side to the other and pulling off small amounts of finished syrup at a time. We boil until we have about 4CM (1.5") then pull it off and finish in a turkey fryer. We then run it through our 20L (5USG) syrup filter tank and bottle it. We can only boil once or twice per week so we need to finish what we start every time. We also run our pan a little deep. 7.5-9CM (3-3.5").

BSD
04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
did you add any defoamer?

DrTimPerkins
04-07-2017, 07:21 AM
You're getting foam like that in the middle because the middle section being the hottest part of the pan. Density might be a tiny bit higher there because of that. Can't see your arch, but I suspect it is a good bit cooler on the sides. Is your arch insulated?

In any case, a bit of spilling over isn't going to hurt, especially if you're not trying to form a gradient. I wouldn't use any oil unless it starts really foaming over in the side channels as well.

Nemo5
04-07-2017, 08:36 AM
I have a 2x3 pan and the boil looks very similar to yours until I begin to establish a gradient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk