PDA

View Full Version : reverse flow in the flue pan

Fred Henderson
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
On either a raised or drop flue is it necessary to have reverse flow in the flue pan?

mountainvan
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
If you don't have crossflow pans or the revolution pans, then yes.

brookledge
04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
the reason to reverse the flow is so you don't draw off in the same compartment all the time. If you do then it will begin to build up sugar sand leading to burnt pans. By reversing the flow the sap coming out of the flue pan actually disolves most of the build up.
But it is not necessary it would just mean you have to clean the build up by scrubbing it as it builds up which would get real old real quick.
Keith

Fred Henderson
04-20-2007, 06:57 AM
So then with a rasied flue pan and cross flow syrup pans and having an extra syrup pan reverse flow in the flue pan is not necessary.

brookledge
04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Fred
If you want to have an extra pan and keep switching them to clean them then you could do that.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, evaporators with cross flow syrup pans have 2 to 3 of them and you move the one you where drawing off towards the flue pan and move the others down thus having the sap coming out of the flue pan to help disolve the sugar sand.
But as I said before having to scrub and try to remove the sugar sand every day would grow old real fast.
Keith

brookledge
04-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Fred
Ignore my previous post. I just reread your post. I thought you where asking about the syrup pan having to be reversible. Mountainview is correct.
Keith

802maple
04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
All we do is switch the front one and clean it. There are 2 reasons why in my opinion they are better. One being you never have to switch the flue pan and secondly we get totally rid of the nitre instead of dissolving it and sticking down on the otherside like a reverse flow does. And unlike Leader says it only takes 2 minutes at the most to switch them without even letting the fire down. Most of the time we can put 300 to 400 gallons thru before having to switch them anyway.They are real easy to clean, We just use preheater water or I guess I have been hearing good things about vinegar. Either way let them soak over night and it just comes right off without any effort the next day.