PDA

View Full Version : Another craptacular end to a season

DaveB
04-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Just to add to the "craptactular" end to seasons, I had one that I've never seen before. I was finishing up boiling what I collected the end of last week this past weekend and still had about 100 gallons or so I wanted to push into the evaporator before I started clean-up on Sunday. I did my usual opening valves and loading the firebox and blasting it with a torch to get the fire rolling when all of a sudden I noticed something floating in one of the syrup pan sections - it was a MOUSE! I have been boiling for 25+ years and I've had that happened.

Thankfully I could tell that it landed in there over night but my plan for the day was ruined. All I could do was remove him (my son buried him) and flush my pans and start cleaning up for the season. I lost all the sweet I had in the pans and the syrup I would have made from the 100 gallons but there was nothing I could do.

Has anyone else ever had that happen?

Outside of the crazy start and missing the early runs in January, I had a pretty normal season. I started with late season weather when I tapped around my normal mid-February range and then went back to mid-winter weather and had several good runs, including a surprise run last week. My season ended just about when it normally ends.

berkshires
04-04-2017, 10:59 AM
So I guess that joke about the CT sugarman is right! LOL

Seriously - sorry about the crappy end to your season. That's gotta sting.

Cheers,

Gabe

Hkb82
04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Ouch that sucks for sure. That's why I always pull my fire or let it die right down and cover my pans at night. Leave enough room for the steam to come out. It sounds like the rest of your season was as normal.

Mike Van
04-04-2017, 03:52 PM
I had a drown one in a sap bucket on a tree this year, first time for that - Much less loss & easier clean up then yours Dave - Sad when you have to dump product. By the way, 'craptacular' that word in Websters?

DaveB
04-06-2017, 07:36 AM
I had a drown one in a sap bucket on a tree this year, first time for that - Much less loss & easier clean up then yours Dave - Sad when you have to dump product. By the way, 'craptacular' that word in Websters?

lol...no, I don't believe so. I just borrowed the word that another poster used to describe the end of his season.

BSD
04-07-2017, 06:51 AM
lol...no, I don't believe so. I just borrowed the word that another poster used to describe the end of his season.i'm going to suggest it to Mirriam Webster's this year. you can thank me later.

Mike Van
04-08-2017, 04:22 AM
You could be famous Matt -