PDA

View Full Version : Sap storage tank cleaning and storage

BCPP
04-04-2017, 06:44 AM
We have a 225g polypropylene tank that we use for sap storage. I intend to rinse it out but it's impossible to get all of the water out of it, even turning it upside down water gets trapped in the molded in areas.

What is the best way to store for the summer? Do I need to worry about mold? Theoretically it should just be plastic and water so nothing for bacteria to feed on. Do I just leave it and rinse again next season?

Big_Eddy
04-04-2017, 08:32 AM
I drilled a couple of small holes in the "highest" point of mine so when I invert it to drain, the last of the water runs out. After washing I leave it out in the sun for a couple of hours to dry thoroughly, then leave it upside down with the lid on during the off season. It's not air tight, but the lid keeps pests out

Cody
04-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Use a shop vac to suck out left over water.

billyinvt
04-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I zip tie a clean towel to a length of pvc to dry out those bottom corners.

Sugarbush Ridge
04-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Last year I pressure washed my cage tanks real good. Then using a 1 quart pump sprayer,,,, (lawn and garden area) and sprayed peroxide to sides and up against top as best I could. They had none of the thin green mold inside BUT I still pressure washed and flushed tanks real good again before start of season

Michael Greer
04-10-2017, 06:25 AM
I have one of those "pickup truck tanks" with an 8" lid. You can rinse it but you can't drain it. You can pressure wash it, but not unless you have trained a spider monkey to do it. You can look into it, but you can't see all of it without a mirror. You can disinfect it, but you can't drain it. It is a swamp generator as far as I'm concerned, suitable for hauling water only. No matter what it's used for, it always has a half-inch of liquid left in the bottom. The translucent material turns it into a greenhouse the moment the sun comes out. Even "just water" will grow green things within a day, and plastic holds onto microbes better than anything.Have I said enough...That tank pisses me off every time I look at it.

Tweegs
04-10-2017, 07:25 AM
The only way to drain completely is to remove the bung and turn the tank up on its side.
I used a couple of landscape timbers to elevate the tank up off the ground a little (put a couple of inches between the bung hole and the ground), then went at it with a pressure washer.

I’d then put about 30 gallons of water and 1 gallon of bleach in it, seal it up and let it sit. Repeat this every 6 to 8 weeks through the spring, summer and fall. One more good clean out in the preseason.
Of course, you’ll need to clean it at least a couple of times during the season.

Even with all of that, it was nearly impossible to get the thing clean and keep it that way.
As others have pointed out, pressure washing comes at a price. Plan on getting wet…really wet.
You can never seem to get it all with a pressure washer, though there is some comic relief in watching others try.

In my experience, those poly tanks were the most miserable things ever.
As an alternative, I swapped my poly tanks out for Behlen Country stock tanks (open top).
They’re food grade and comparable in price to the poly tanks.
While they have drain issues of their own, at least you can get at them.

SeanD
04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
To disinfect, I've started using Star San with great results. This was a tough season for growth in tanks with all the warmth we had. I like it because a little goes a long way and it can be left to air dry. No rinsing necessary. I saw a huge difference in all of my tanks at the end of the season.

wnybassman
04-10-2017, 06:32 PM
That tank pisses me off every time I look at it.

That's the exact relationship I have with mine. lol

BTW, mine is for sale if anyone is interested.

Ontario Ian
04-10-2017, 07:35 PM
That tank pisses me off every time I look at it.

I feel the feeling!!