PDA

View Full Version : Releaser malfunction

blissville maples
04-03-2017, 06:23 AM
I don't know if it's just the nature of the beast or not, but every single releaser I own(2 Lapierre double vertical, Bernard double vertical- and even the new CDL releaser). Out of The two Lapierre one has messed up a bunch- float came unscrewed, the rubber o ring gasket aroun pushrod was riding on shaft and hanging up halfway down from gasket. They have roofs but aren't perfectly level. Work fine for days then ha hang up. Bernard releaser works great usually however when under 35 i believe the slide mechanism hangs up, maybe because the grease is cold?? I know a heated enclosure would be helpful for the Bernard. On the Lapierre where the float rod goes thru the clear cover that is loose since it jiggles and bobbles.
Also what's with the sap freezing in bottom of releaser when pumps are off at night, creating the bottom to have air leaks from the ice breaking the seal....The cdl releaser een working good however twice the plunger on the top that stops vac so it can dump had been stuck out and not pulled back in to allow vac back yo the releaser?? Any thoughts ideas comment would be great

maple2
04-03-2017, 06:56 AM
we have 5 different releasers.Have had the same problems,and more,as you over the years. Built 2 heated sheds, this year, for two of them. they ran pretty much trouble free all season

madmapler
04-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Had mine in a heated shed this year too. no problems. Before I had power I was considering a small propane heater in a space (wood box) just a little bigger than the releaser that I could open up when I needed to work on it.

wiam
04-03-2017, 02:31 PM
How do you get the sap out from a heated space?

madmapler
04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
How do you get the sap out from a heated space?

Last year, at the bush that had power, I made a box like I said and used a heat lamp at night. I cut a hole in the floor in front of the releaser to fit a 5 gal. bucket. I put a 2" fitting in the bottom and ran a pipe to the tank. The bucket was a little too small and I had splash issues. I now have a 8'x8' shed that I use the same type set up but I have a 1/2 barrel that catches everything. The other good thing about piping it is you can keep a lid on your tank and keep the bugs and debris out.

wiam
04-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Last year, at the bush that had power, I made a box like I said and used a heat lamp at night. I cut a hole in the floor in front of the releaser to fit a 5 gal. bucket. I put a 2" fitting in the bottom and ran a pipe to the tank. The bucket was a little too small and I had splash issues. I now have a 8'x8' shed that I use the same type set up but I have a 1/2 barrel that catches everything. The other good thing about piping it is you can keep a lid on your tank and keep the bugs and debris out.

Thank you Sean. I want to come talk to you.

maple2
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Our realeaser sits over a 75gal. stock tank. A sump pump pumps it up into the holding tank

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-04-2017, 04:50 AM
If your box around the releases is just a tad bigger the the release itself make sure to use minimum heat. Last year I put a small 6"x6" electric heater and had temp to high, I didn't ink it was high but was and it warped the pvc tubes and created vac issues. Leader in Rutland spent some time with a heat gun and pretty much got it back to where it would work.

The orang sliding up and down on rod, blue ball coming off you name it all happened to me.

I've been told if you have electric at your vac house put in an electric releaser.

markcasper
04-04-2017, 06:48 AM
I have had it seems alot of releaser trouble this year. I know what your talking about with the slide mechanism hanging up with temps in the mid 30's. If you touched it briefly with a torch it would go fine. Nights where there was lots of moisture in the air seemed worse. Then over the weekend go to pick up sap and uh-oh...tank empty. Go up and the snap ring on the rod wore off and the float was sitting on the bottom. The stem looks like something nawed on it, put it back on and squeezed with pliers, thought I had it. Go over yesterday and little sap again, go up and the float is sitting on the bottom again. Being I had to go to work.....grabbed the black electric tape and hopefully it worked.

It gets very frustrating what else is there to say? The big the that I have found is to keep them clean, all of that little stuff moving doesn't take much stickiness or crappy sap coming in to foul them up. Lost about 500 gallons estimated sap on Sunday b/c the one in my other woods was just simply in need of cleaning. Was going to do it last week and well...you know the rest of the story.

blissville maples
04-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Was thinking that about electric release, they likely never fail do they?

GeneralStark
04-04-2017, 12:36 PM
They fail of the power goes out, the pump fails, the pump freezes or if the pump screen gets clogged (if you are using a pump with a screen). Other than that, they are pretty darn reliable.

BreezyHill
04-04-2017, 07:03 PM
I don't run a screen on my elec releaser and it only needed a new level switch. Other than that it makes vac and doesn't eat vac.

One of my best investments.

blissville maples
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Ah mark I hear ya, I lost alot last year, this year been better after working kinks out, then new kinks develop....I'm thinking about these electric release, However power an issue in two locations.....im leaning towards heated enclosure for the cool nights...

PARKER MAPLE
04-05-2017, 05:09 AM
I agree I have had a electric releaser now for 5 years. A small insulated room with a light bulb runs all season in there. And it has been 100% more reliable then my mechanical releaser. Also every time it pumps it maintains or increases vac slightly. Not like the mechanical where it drops and surges back into lats. As far as when power goes out yes your screwed. But my pump is a 1/2hp 110 strarite and can run off my Honda eu3000 all day no problem. Works well for me