PDA

View Full Version : Base Stack

Shorty
04-02-2017, 09:51 PM
I built my outfit over twenty years ago and it worked really good. I went to the Roth Sugar Bush and measured a commerical one, and reduced the measurements down to what I wanted. I built it from an old wood burner furnace and my Brother-in-law built the Stainless Steel Pans.

The Base Stack burned out and the metal around the door warped in them 20 plus years.

It's located at my buddies place and he decided to fix it and then decided to have it rebuilt it from scratch, he did keep the Stainless Steel Flat and Dropped Flue Pan though.

I'm not happy how it was built. The Base Stack is only about 10 inches tall. He made the Fire Box longer and at the bottom/rear he put the slope right up to the Base Stack. Now the dropped flue's don't do their job. We are going to change it by putting another piece of steel over the top of it.

Questions 1. How far under the dropped flue should this slope be and how much of an angle?

2. The main question with the cooker being 20 inches wide and 67 inches long ( front flat pan is 20X20 and the rear dropped flue pan 20X47 ) how tall should the Base Stack be?

Paperman
04-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Depends somewhat on how long of wood you plan to burn. A firebox a bit longer than your wood, leave a bit of a flat back to it and then a 45 angle up to the level of the bottom of your flues. You want the arch under your flues to be about an inch below them. If the heat runs under them and out the stack if did you no good. Get it up to the flues and make it work for you.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?8805-2x6-homemade-arch