PDA

View Full Version : Bhr float rod leak

mountain man maple
04-01-2017, 08:02 AM
I have a bhr single vertical releaser. On slow flow days releaser starts to raise float to dump and causes a air leak which leads to icing on float rod.Also when this situation happens flapper to releaser manifold will close. If woods is tight releaser will sit like this for sometime before woods level drops enough to dump some sap and finish dump cycle. I have already adjusted white plastic up on lid of releaser to get a good seal on oring. This releaser was at 24" of vacuum all season so low vacuum wasn't a issue. I think only option maybe to make a new piece that the rod slides through with less clearance so the rod leaks less. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sapboy
04-01-2017, 11:32 AM
I was having the same issue on both of my double vertical BHR releasers this year. What I figured out is the O-ring between the plastic washer and top of the lid would not slide on the shaft as it went up causing a leak. I put a metal flat washer on top of the plastic washer for weight and stretched out the O-ring just a bit so that between the weight of the washer and vacuum pulling it down the O-ring would slide on the shaft as the float and shaft went up keeping everything sealed tight until it dumps.

Ontario Ian
04-01-2017, 12:17 PM
mine leaks a bit also, I keep food grade grease on the rod and it seems to be enough let the rod drop back down.

maple flats
04-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Try mineral oil rather than food grade grease, slides better.

jrgagne99
03-17-2020, 09:08 PM
So oil generally works better than grease for this problem (o-ring getting carried up with the rod instead of staying sucked down against the pass-through)?

tcross
03-18-2020, 05:34 AM
i had that exact problem this year with the same releaser. there is a small o ring (called a U cup) that sets into a plastic piece of your releaser where the float rod slides through. it sits inside a little depression in the plastic between the glass and rod top. see my picture, it'll show it better than i can describe it. i swapped out that and lubed it up 21257and it fixed all my leaking issues.