PDA

View Full Version : Milk Tank Fittings

wurmdert
03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
I just purchased a milk tank and was wondering where everyone gets there fittings. I believe mine ia an outside Acme thread

Sent from my LGUS375 using Tapatalk

sugarman3
03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
I use fern coat rubber fittings with a valve,most milk tank are 11/2 in and I use 11/2 in valve,work great have 6 set up that way,turn on valve ,hook up pump and empty tank.

wnybassman
03-28-2017, 08:17 PM
I use fern coat rubber fittings with a valve,most milk tank are 11/2 in and I use 11/2 in valve,work great have 6 set up that way,turn on valve ,hook up pump and empty tank.

Does a Fernco seal on the tank threads OK? I would think there would be leakage there.

mudr
03-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Only time I lost a couple drops to leakage was when I was really cranking on the frozen pvc valve, the rubber of the fernco flexed. Other than that, mine worked fine this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wnybassman
03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Only time I lost a couple drops to leakage was when I was really cranking on the frozen pvc valve, the rubber of the fernco flexed. Other than that, mine worked fine this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you tighten the clamp of the Fernco onto the threads, or do you try to slip it on further to clamp on smooth metal?

mellondome
03-28-2017, 09:46 PM
http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18260&cat=&page=1

http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1781&cat=&page=1

If you search site for bevel hose adapter you will find other options as well.

Atgreene
03-29-2017, 08:01 AM
We had them cut off and ip fittings welded on. No chance of leaks etc. We've gone the fernco route, but the risk of loosing lots of sap wasn't worth it.

stewardsdairy
03-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Some dairy supply stores that deal in bulk tanks and parlor systems may have used fittings. New are expensive!

mudr
03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Do you tighten the clamp of the Fernco onto the threads, or do you try to slip it on further to clamp on smooth metal?

If I recall, I had it shoved in as far as I could go. The hose clamp was therefore on the narrower portion of the bevel-seat tank nipple. I figured this would be the best way, so that the rubber fernco would not want to be pulled off as easy over the wider threaded portion.

I went this route because a fernco is $5. I didn't want to spend $100 on stainless fittings. Now, if I expected this hobby to generate a livable income and I hadn't already spent a few thousand (gulp) last year, I may have sprung for the fitting.

maple flats
03-29-2017, 05:52 PM
I use these valves and they have adapters for which ever threads your tank has. Do you know who made the tank? https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/Tri-Clover-Valves/Tri-Clover-Butterfly-Valves/

sugarman3
03-29-2017, 07:12 PM
put silicone sealer on threads on tank before you use fernco,i tighten the clamp on threads,never had a problem with leakage

wurmdert
03-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the info folks.

Maplewalnut
03-29-2017, 07:41 PM
put silicone sealer on threads on tank before you use fernco,i tighten the clamp on threads,never had a problem with leakage

Or wrap the threads with electrical tape