PDA

View Full Version : Drop flue vs Raised Flue

Maplewalnut
04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Now that the season is winding down or finished, what are people's experience with a drop flue vs raised flue models. I'm sure its personal preference to an extent but curious as to the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Uncle Tucker
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I am thinking of geting some more taps and I will need to go with a flue pan so I would like to know everyones opinion also.

John Burton
04-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I would say its the old ford,chevy dodge argument one float vs two take your pick

maple flats
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I have used both and liked both. I have noticed that the rated boil rates for raised flue tend to be higher for any given size than drop flue but I have not tested this on 2 units of the same size side by side with the same wood etc to find out.

brookledge
04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I think for most of the manufactuers the smaller evaporators you will get more GPH with raised flues but when you get up to 5 to 6 foot wide evaporators the drop flue have more flues and boil more.
For me I had boiled with drop flue style for about 20 years and then bought a raised flue primarily because the raised flue was cheaper than a drop flue by quite a bit. I'm happy with it and would recommend it.
Quite frankly if you are looking to by a used one than go with what you can find that best suits your needs size wise and don't worry about whether it is raised or drop. Your better off concentrating on getting an evaporator that has a pre heater and hood or inferno/intenso fire arch. That way you can save on fuel and be more efficient.
Keith

maplehound
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree with brookledge on buy what you can find in the size you are looking for.
I did have a drop flue in a 2x6 and the only draw back was, we knocked a hole in the flues with the wood. When I bought my new rig ( 3X8) I went with a raised for easy draining and easier to maintain levels in each pan with 2 floats. I have found it also easier to take the flue pan off the arch. I don't know if I am getting as good of heat transfer though. I would think that the drop flue would be better for that as all the flue comes in contact with the fire as it passes through. Where as with the raised you are forcing it up into the flues and one area seems to boil more than the rest of the pan. This is just my experience though and if I had it to do over I would still go with the raised flue.

jdj
04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
We have a 3x10 leader drop flue. I have seen raised flue units being used and they too boil good, I'm just not a big fan of a two float system, just another thing to keep an eye on. Also it seems the flues are harder to clean on a raised flue. Personally I will always stay with drop flue but is is personal preference.

ibby458
04-19-2007, 05:30 AM
I've used both, and think thec raised flue has several advantages. Because you don't have to worry about the flues clearing the firebrick, there's 2 extra flues, which helps out the rate. You DO have to have your arch bricked just so, to force the flames up in there good. Mine isn't quite right, and I'll fix it this summer.

I think the syrup pan float is a plus! You can run different levels in each pan, and you get a faster response on drawoffs to keep the levels consistant.