PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable sap run.

madmapler
03-27-2017, 08:09 AM
As has been typical of this season, I ran the Vac. pumps all day yesterday and didn't collect a drop of sap at 37 deg. Last evening the temp. dropped to around 33 so we shut off the pumps for the night. I went down to turn them on this morning( still 32 deg.) and the sap has been gushing all night. I've collected about 1400 gallons on 5000ish taps overnight with no vac. I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing. Bittersweet. This has been a weird and frustrating year for sap collection.

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2017, 08:36 AM
I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing.

Yup.....if your pump can handle it....leave it on unless you're darn sure it is frozen up EVERYWHERE. We've got a fair amount of variation in aspect and elevation, so we see a lot of areas where the sap will run, and not a drop from others. Or sap will run from up on the hill all night, but stop in the cold hollows. With the Smartrek sensors out everywhere in our woods, it has been very enlightening how variable the temperature is out there. Our pumps RARELY go off during the season once they are turned on. Even then, we would typically leave one pump on and turn the other (on the same pipeline) off just for maintenance.

Biz
03-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Dr Tim, what is the reason you would not want to shut a pump off in most cases? I have battery operated pumps and they get turned off at night when temps go below freezing to conserve battery power. I do notice that when the pump turns off, there is a strong reverse flow of sap up the line as pressures equalize. This probably carries bacteria up the lines to the tapholes, which is a bad thing. Maybe why one line has nearly stopped. If this theory is correct, would checkvalve spouts would help here, if pumps must be turned off? I don't use them now. Using all short 3/16" lines, 20-40 taps per line, no mainline, diaphragm pump at bottom of lines. Thanks for any insight.

Dave

DrTimPerkins
03-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Unless it is frozen up everywhere in the bush, when you shut off the pump you will get backflow. Yes, CV spouts will help in that case.

Biz
03-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I am going to try the checkvalve spouts next year. I will be replacing my drops on this 3/16" line next year. Has anybody tried using spouts for 5/16" line, running the 5/16" drop into a 3/16" line using the CDL tees with two 3/16" barbs and a 5/16" barb? Checkvalve spouts only come in 5/16" I believe.

Dave

Ivyacres
03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
I did run several lines this season with that setup as I ran out of 3/16 spouts and didn't want to miss a run. They worked fine and let me use up some supply's. I will be changing everything possible over to 3/16 next year and will do some drops the same way as I'm not just throwing away new 5/16 tubing. My 3/16 ran a week longer and gave at least a 1/3 better performance than the just 5/16 lines. Good Luck

motowbrowne
03-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I am going to try the checkvalve spouts next year. I will be replacing my drops on this 3/16" line next year. Has anybody tried using spouts for 5/16" line, running the 5/16" drop into a 3/16" line using the CDL tees with two 3/16" barbs and a 5/16" barb? Checkvalve spouts only come in 5/16" I believe.

Dave

IIRC, that's what Cody is doing. He's running about 2000 on 3/16 with 5/16 drops. You are correct that CV spouts only come in 5/16 (for now anyway. I'm hoping for a 3/16 CV spout next year). The other way to get a CV onto a 3/16 drop is with a 3/16 stubby into a CV adapter. That's what I'm planning for next year.

Homestead Maple
03-29-2017, 12:16 PM
As has been typical of this season, I ran the Vac. pumps all day yesterday and didn't collect a drop of sap at 37 deg. Last evening the temp. dropped to around 33 so we shut off the pumps for the night. I went down to turn them on this morning( still 32 deg.) and the sap has been gushing all night. I've collected about 1400 gallons on 5000ish taps overnight with no vac. I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing. Bittersweet. This has been a weird and frustrating year for sap collection.
Same thing here last night. When I left the woods last night the temp said 36. Checked the recording thermometer this morning and is said 30 for a low. I checked the tanks later and one was running over and the other almost!!

VT_K9
03-29-2017, 05:56 PM
I've had some icing in my releaser which has caused problems with vacuum transfer. This is the only reason I shut the vacuum off at night. I shut it down last night about 0000 hours when I noticed some ice forming in the releaser. It was running slow, but better than if the vacuum was off. I did not want to deal with the ice build up and sap trying to travel up the vacuum line. I had one app on my iphone I used to use to gauge the temps and I synced with it pretty good. That app is no longer in service and I am still learning the new app. I now shut the vacuum off once it drops below 31 degrees on the app.

Mike