PDA

View Full Version : Old wive's tales?

Midwestguy
03-26-2017, 01:29 PM
A couple of "facts" about sugarin' that I've had passed on to me. Any thing to them? 1. You can tell about sugar content by the color of the sap. 2. The wind moving the trees cause sap to run better-or in bigger volumes. Also, what causes some sap to bubble/foam more than others, seems to be more in later sap runs.. Thanks for any help. Midwestguy in Wisconsin. "Turner Creek Maple Syrup"

saphound
03-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Well, not an expert here, but from what I've learned from those here that are;
1..no..sap should always come from the tree clear. if it isn't there's a problem with the tree, where you tapped it or rain water or "tree pee" got in it somehow..but it still wouldn't determine sugar content.
2. I think that's possibly true if it is a warm southerly wind after a cold night. A cold wind can have a negative affect on sap flow.
3 No idea..I don't concern myself with the amount of bubbles/ foam..I just skim it off as needed. Someone else (like Dr.Tim) could probably tell you more about that.

abbott
03-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Wind from the north, sap runs forth
Wind from the south, sap runs drouth
Wind from the west, sap runs best
Wind from the east, sap runs least

Midwestguy
03-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks Abbott. Sounds like some old advice about fishing here in Wisconsin... Dave

Midwestguy
03-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback, saphound. I hear "facts" now and then which I wonder about... Dave in Wisconsin

Galena
03-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Well balls to that...a north wind kills any run I get. South is best closely followed by west. And wtf is drouth?!

abbott
03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Well balls to that...a north wind kills any run I get. South is best closely followed by west. And wtf is drouth?!

Pretty sure Dave was looking for old wives tales. Just telling it like I heard it - and I've never found drouth in a dictionary, but I would say it means something close to drought.

I've hear lots of opinions on what kind of breeze is the best, or whether any wind at all kills a sap run. I'd say you might find a trend for your particular location, but it might not be safe to generalize.

saphound
03-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Not positive, but I think it means the sap will run like my ol' ladys' drouth ...non stop! :lol:

gmcooper
03-30-2017, 10:34 PM

Always understood "Wind from the south runs a drought" meaning if the wind is from the south the sap run dries up.

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Quick answer is that the vast majority of "weather" effects on maple sap flow are from how it affects temperature OF THE TREE STEM AND BRANCHES. Barometric pressure has a relatively small influence. Wind affects temperature by removing heat more quickly.

saphound
03-31-2017, 08:59 AM
That would explain why a warm southerly wind could warm the stem and branches quicker after a prolonged cold spell, right? The only way it would cause a drought is if the warmer weather sticks around and keeps the night temps above freezing...if that's what drouth means. But initially it gets the sap flowing pretty good I have found.

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
In this case I believe "drouth" refers to a lack of sap flow or low flow. Thus it probably means that southern (presumably hot) winds mean the sap stops flowing, although initially it might get things going after a cold spell, but if prolonged, would mean sap flow would stop.

abbott
03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Quick answer is that the vast majority of "weather" effects on maple sap flow are from how it affects temperature OF THE TREE STEM AND BRANCHES. Barometric pressure has a relatively small influence. Wind affects temperature by removing heat more quickly.

Say its 40* after a 20* night. In that case, you presumably want a stiff breeze to thaw the tree? The tree would feel the opposite of a wind chill, since its colder than the air. I've wondered if a north breeze is helpful because it hastens the thawing of taps in the north side of the tree that don't get warmed by the sun.

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Depends on whether the sun is shining or not. Trees don't experience "wind chill" in that they don't "feel" any colder than the air temperature, however wind will remove any heat that builds up due to solar insolation. So yes, if the tree is cold but the air is warm, then wind will hasten the change in temperature from 20 to 40 degrees.

Galena
03-31-2017, 01:59 PM
All I know for sure is, so long as it's above zero and the sun is shining, my trees are happy and will produce sap. Wind from any direction seems to have little bearing on the run.

Snappyssweets
03-31-2017, 02:09 PM
All I know is this asked for old wives tails and I have pondered it long and hard and decided it is best if I do not share my wifes tail with anyone. Besides no one really wants to see an old wives tail anyhow do they? <facepalm> Oh come on someone had to say it. <giggle>

spud
03-31-2017, 05:37 PM
A couple of "facts" about sugarin' that I've had passed on to me. Any thing to them? 1. You can tell about sugar content by the color of the sap. 2. The wind moving the trees cause sap to run better-or in bigger volumes. Also, what causes some sap to bubble/foam more than others, seems to be more in later sap runs.. Thanks for any help. Midwestguy in Wisconsin. "Turner Creek Maple Syrup"

I have found that when my sap foams a lot it is higher in sugar. I'm not big on OL Wive's tales. I say when the wife gets old trade her in for a young one. Haha

Spud