PDA

View Full Version : Done for the year

Woodsrover
03-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Just ran the last 250 gallons thru the RO and the pan. Flooded with water instead of sap and brought the last boil into the house to finish. Should do about 52 gallons when all is said and done. Not bad considering this was my second year and only did 16 gallons last year. Tapped January 14th/15th and glad I did. First boil was January 20th.

Funny year. Sorry to see it end but glad its over.

bagpiper
03-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Woodsrover,

How did you like your Next Gen RO unit? Which size did you buy? I have 85 taps on vac and 50 buckets and am planning on buying a hobby unit this summer.

Thanks,
Bagpiper

Sugar Bear
03-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Just ran the last 250 gallons thru the RO and the pan. Flooded with water instead of sap and brought the last boil into the house to finish. Should do about 52 gallons when all is said and done. Not bad considering this was my second year and only did 16 gallons last year. Tapped January 14th/15th and glad I did. First boil was January 20th.

Funny year. Sorry to see it end but glad its over.

I am a little curious about your taps. In particular how long did the taps you put in on Jan 15 run for? Did they run all the way through to this last boil?

Sugar Bear

Woodsrover
03-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Woodsrover,

How did you like your Next Gen RO unit? Which size did you buy? I have 85 taps on vac and 50 buckets and am planning on buying a hobby unit this summer.

Thanks,
Bagpiper

I like it just fine. I wish it were a little faster and am thinking about trading this in on a unit with a little bit more capacity. That said, it was great and saved me a ton of time and wood. Can't imagine running without one.

Woodsrover
03-25-2017, 07:01 PM
I am a little curious about your taps. In particular how long did the taps you put in on Jan 15 run for? Did they run all the way through to this last boil?

Sugar Bear

Taps are still running. Sap is getting a little funny and I have enough so they're running on the ground until I get a chance to pull taps and clean things up. The buckets dried up a couple weeks ago and I expected that, but the taps on 3/16" are still running about as well as the day I drilled them.

DaveB
03-26-2017, 06:16 AM
I think your 3/16 taps are still running due to vacuum. I know most larger producers start tapping in January due to the sheer number of taps they have for the same reason. Despite everything, there was a great length to this season!

I'll be doing a last collection today and finish up today or tomorrow. I could probably make some next week but things look marginal this week and I don't know what I'll get for sap. I've produced what I normally produce and had a normal 6 week season. The only thing I missed was an extra couple of weeks in late January/early February where I could have had additional sap.

Sugar Bear
03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Taps are still running. Sap is getting a little funny and I have enough so they're running on the ground until I get a chance to pull taps and clean things up. The buckets dried up a couple weeks ago and I expected that, but the taps on 3/16" are still running about as well as the day I drilled them.

What kind of taps are you using on the 3/16" ?

Woodsrover
03-26-2017, 10:20 AM
What kind of taps are you using on the 3/16" ?

White CDL 3/16 spouts. They used to be green but they're all white now.

Agent914
03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
I pulled my taps and broke down my homemade portable evaporator yesterday. I only had 1 of 25 taps giving me anything worth considering to boil but not enough to warrant me firing up the evaporator for the last 2 weeks. Though I started around my typical date of Valentines date with 2 very succesfull weekend boils then nothing after then very little to nothing for the last 3 weeks. I boiled about 250 - 300 galloons sap making a little more than 5 gallons of syrup which I typically give away to the Family & Friends.

Also I need to do some much needed repairs on the evaporator (Fire board started to wear out in areas).....so SAPS be safe and see you in 2018 when TAPPING season arrives.

BSD
03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
I did my last boil yesterday and ended the season with 4 gallons of dark amber. Not planning on doing any more, but you never know.

pyro
03-27-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm out too. Boiled everything from last two weeks. First week was mostly frozen solid with nothing running, then everythong came last week when I was away. Ripped out taps on sunday. Now just waiting for warm day to clean buckets.

Gonna weld 1 ft extra to my evaporator to be ready for a 2x4 pan I plan to get next year.

Woodsrover
03-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Gonna weld 1 ft extra to my evaporator to be ready for a 2x4 pan I plan to get next year.

I may be selling my 2x4 + 6" warming box in favor of a custom hybrid pan. Let me know if you're interested.

DaveB
03-29-2017, 09:21 AM
I was surprised when I checked a couple of my tanks this morning. Between the two tanks I had about 150 gallons since Sunday. The line was actually running decently so it appears that my season is not done yet. Based on my sap cam in the valley the sap is not running there but my lines at higher elevations are still running. I thought I was going to be cleaning up this weekend but it appears I'll just be finishing up!

Mike Van
03-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Supposed to be frost again tonight

CTsap
03-29-2017, 06:53 PM
I got over two hundred gallons off 70 taps on 3/16 since sunday. Sugar content is low, little over 1%. Tastes fine so I'm going to carry on this weekend.

Samuelvw1
03-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Can I see a picture

Sam
Samuelvw1@gmail.com

CTsap
03-30-2017, 07:57 PM
No, but it looks like a 270 gallon tote with 200 gallons of liquid in it. Its available for viewing upon appointment.