PDA

View Full Version : Tapping tree after couple years

Jacob
03-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Next year will be my 4th year and I know you stay a couple inches away from previous holes but as you tap year after year do you usually move upwards or down the tree.

maple flats
03-22-2017, 04:30 PM
If you are on buckets, bags or gravity tubing, you move about 2-3" to the side and either up or down 6". If you are on vacuum, you tap on the opposite side, then the following year move 90 degrees and then opposite that. Then you start going half way between 2 older tap scars and repeat year after year. You also tap 6-8" higher one time and 6-8" lower on the next. The basic idea is to be sure not to tap in old compartmentalized wood but on vacuum you also want to be as far away from old holes as possible. If you ever tap and get stained wood, just skip that tree, do not tap another spot and do not try to plug it.

Jacob
03-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Thank you Dave I like the idea of one year going 6" higher next year 6" lower I am on gravity into 5 gallon buckets the main reason I ask I only have one tree of my own and it is I belive 64" around and I put in 3 taps each year and it is a huge producer on a really good day I can get 5 gallon in a day
QUOTE=maple flats;328806]If you are on buckets, bags or gravity tubing, you move about 2-3" to the side and either up or down 6". If you are on vacuum, you tap on the opposite side, then the following year move 90 degrees and then opposite that. Then you start going half way between 2 older tap scars and repeat year after year. You also tap 6-8" higher one time and 6-8" lower on the next. The basic idea is to be sure not to tap in old compartmentalized wood but on vacuum you also want to be as far away from old holes as possible. If you ever tap and get stained wood, just skip that tree, do not tap another spot and do not try to plug it.[/QUOTE]