PDA

View Full Version : Mainline saddles

VTnewguy
03-19-2017, 07:30 PM
So we have some 5/16 on gravity to a mainline. The lines are full of sap right up to the saddle. It seems like they aren't draining into the mainline. What does everyone use for saddles before I put all the laterals on buckets.

pipeline
03-19-2017, 07:54 PM
is your mainline under the snow?if so probably frozen or in tank ice

madmapler
03-19-2017, 09:51 PM
I doubt your saddles are the problem. Could be ice as was said or maybe a sag but if the sap is running and the lines are pitched properly, it should be coming out the other end. Are you using line hooks? Have you been getting sap previously?

VTnewguy
03-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Nothing is frozen or covered in snow. I suspect that we don't have enough pitch going into the mainline. We have been getting some flow of sap just not what it should be.

spud
03-20-2017, 06:00 AM
So we have some 5/16 on gravity to a mainline. The lines are full of sap right up to the saddle. It seems like they aren't draining into the mainline. What does everyone use for saddles before I put all the laterals on buckets.

Everything is fine and the sap will run into the mainline when there is a better run. Your lateral lines should be full of sap.

Spud

maple flats
03-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Sometimes debris can plug a saddle but if they are all not flowing that is unlikely. To answer the first question, I like the DSD saddles which are built on a SS band clamp. Your choice angle or straight fitting that attaches to the saddle. I order mine thru Homestead Maple in Chazy, NY, others carry them too.

VTnewguy
03-20-2017, 09:03 AM
I'll take a look for debris and hope for a better run. This is our first foray into tubing and it hasn't been too impressive. The 3/16 running right into the tank has way outperformed this setup.